Buy a quality memory foam mattress. If you can’t afford a whole mattress, then at least invest in a quality mattress topper pad. Take our advice, and you will avoid the most common complaints below. Remember, the bitter taste of a poor quality mattress remains long after the sweet taste of a cheap price.
Memory foam mattresses may be one of the most popular sleeping surfaces today but not even they are spared from consumer complaints which often leads to returns and refunds. Here are the top complaints related to memory foam:
1. Temperature Sensitivity – Memory foam readily reacts to temperature. A visco memory mattress is softer in warmer environments and colder in cooler temperatures. This means that in the summer the foam mattress may feel all squishy and soft while in winter-time or in colder rooms, the mattress may feel hard and cold like sand or a slab. Getting the right level of firmness is level influenced by personal preference. Lower density mattresses often have this problem. TIP – Only buy mattresses with a density of 5LB or higher. PlushBeds, Inc. is the only company we know of that uses 8 lb memory foam in every bedroom mattress they offer.
2. Sleeps Hot – Memory foam mattresses sleep hotter than traditional innerspring mattresses because the
denser cell structure means air has trouble flowing through. Another
getting| reason for heat-related problems Tempurpedic and other memory mattresses have is its body- contouring ability which results in more skin touching the mattress than being exposed to air. Exposure to air helps the skin to cool. TIP – Make sure your memory foam mattress has a ventilation system.
3. Price – Memory foam is a revolutionary material that is costly to produce. Memory foam mattress prices range between $800 and $4,000. TIP – Don’t buy the cheapest or the most expensive. Aim for a good value in a mid-price range.
4. Weight – Memory foam is one of the densest polyurethane foams out there. A cube 1 meter in each direction can weigh up to a whopping 6lb. A cube of Tempurpedic foam weighs 5.34lb. This means a memory foam mattress means| is difficult to move and setup, especially if you suffer from back pain or other health problems. TIP – Buy your mattress online so it is shipped to your door. Most delivery carriers will bring it to the room of your choice for a small tip.
5. Restrictions – Memory foam mattresses have some restrictions for use. For example, you cannot use electric heaters or blankets as that may damage the memory foam. You also need to place the mattress on a solid, completely flat foundation. Do not even think of using slated bed frames. Tip – You might be able to upgrade to an adjustable bed frame at a nice discount if bought at the same time as your mattress.
6. Odor – Memory foam is a form of polyurethane foam and like any other chemical substance it has a strong odor when new. This is harmless, but still is annoying. TIP – While all memory foam will emit an initial factory odor, similar to a new car smell, higher quality mattresses often lose this odor in a few days, while cheaper mattresses may emit an odor indefinitely.
7. Sagging – Lower quality memory foam mattresses lose their ability to rebound as little as a few months. You may be stuck with a hole in the middle of the mattress. TIP – If we haven’t emphasized it yet, you get what you pay for.
8. Trial Policies – Most manufacturers offer generous 3 months home trials but before you jump on the bandwagon remember that if you return the memory foam mattress back you pay return shipping. A word of warning, shipping the mattress back can cost you more than the original delivery!. TIP – Keep your original mattress until you’re positive about your purchase. Shipping costs are a small risk to take when you consider the mattress company is prevented by law to re-sell your mattress, so your trial is a complete loss to them.
9. Adjustment Period – Unlike traditional spring mattresses, memory foam mattresses require an adjustment period thanks to the unique weightlessness feeling it induces. It also needs a break in period for the mattress to give a little. TIP – Adjusting to the superior comfort and support of memory foam is usually a pleasurable experience for many users, so we have no advice on how to avoid it.
10. Cleaning Difficulty – Because of the open cell structure, visco-elastic memory foam mattresses are very difficult to clean. Spills and stains cannot be removed, which can void your warranty. TIP – Invest in a mattress protector to protect your new investment. Some mattress retailers will throw one in for free with your memory foam mattress order.