Not being fully asleep nor fully awake, confusional arousals cause their subject to be dazed and confused during periods of transitions from sleep, usually upon waking. Along with sleepwalking and night terrors, confusional arousals are labeled as one of the three classical parasomnia arousal disorders.
Sleep is composed of natural sleep cycles of brain activity, and is made up of two basic phases with individual stages within. These include rapid eye movement (REM) sleep and non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep.
What is Non REM Sleep?
Non REM sleep occurs during the first four sleep phases, and before REM sleep, which is the final stage before the sleep cycle repeats itself. On average each stage lasts from five to 15 minutes. A typical night’s sleep is comprised of 75% non-REM sleep and 25% REM sleep.
There are 5 distinct sleep stages, with REM sleep being one of them. Most people fall into the REM sleep stage nightly, and many experience it four or five times each night.
What is REM Sleep?
REM stands for rapid eye movement, and is characterized by random, fast-darting movements of the eyes. While the amount of time you spend in REM sleep varies depending on your age, most adults spend up to 25 percent of their total sleep time in REM sleep. On the other hand, newborns spend more than 75 percent of their sleep time in REM sleep.
Some people may find it difficult to believe, but mattress size matters. It matters a lot. According to The Sleep Council, you should “think big – larger beds are more comfortable. Being disturbed by a sleeping partner is one of the most common complaints. With a larger bed you are less likely to disturb one another.” This guide will help you find the right mattress sizes to fit your needs.
An estimated 10 million people suffer from fibromyalgia here in the U.S., and up to six percent of the population worldwide have this condition, reports the National Fibromyalgia Association. While the disorder does occur in men and children, up to 90 percent of people who have fibromyalgia are women. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most people are first diagnosed with fibromyalgia during middle age. Painful and baffling, fibromyalgia is a condition without a definitive cause, treatment, or cure.
Happiness may not come from your family, friends, or wealth, at least according to a new study. Rather, it comes from a peptide.
Led by the University of California Los Angeles, an international team of researchers has linked levels of hypocretin (a human peptide and neurotransmitter) to happiness. They found that the levels of hypocretin soared when we are happy, and also decreased when we are sad.
While some may think bedtime rituals are unnecessary, they are actually quite important. They help you prepare your body for the act of going to sleep. Once they become routine, they provide important cues for your brain that it’s time to enter into your nightly slowdown mode. The problem most people have is deciding what types of activities should be included in their bedtime rituals. Here are a few great ideas.
Getting the recommended seven to nine hours of sleep each night may seem like a long lost memory, let alone a luxury. But not getting enough sleep is known to have health consequences. Accumulating research suggests that sleep deprivation, even in the short term, could pave the way for anxiety, weight gain, insulin sensitivity, stroke and heart disease, memory impairment, hypertension and, well, you get the picture. Sleep deprivation is not okay.
Do you wake up once or more per night because you “gotta go”? Frequent urination at night is quite common. A Sleep in America poll revealed that as many as nearly two-thirds of us report having to get up at night to go to the bathroom.
Natural latex has a lot to offer consumers when it comes to mattresses. Not only does it provide for a much better night’s sleep, but it also has a few secret benefits that aren’t as widely known about latex and the mattresses it creates.