While some sleeping disorders can seem funny, some of the most humorous ones can also be the most serious. One of the most serious sleeping disorders is narcolepsy. Nearly half of Americans suffer from narcolepsy, a number that may in fact shock you. There are all different levels of narcolepsy, and while it may seem odd and intriguing that a person can fall asleep out of nowhere, the truth is, narcolepsy is no laughing matter. It doesn’t matter if you’re at your desk or on your talalay mattress, narcolepsy can strike at any time. Let’s learn how to prevent sleeping during the daytime, so that you’re only sleeping on your mattress at home tonight!
What Exactly is Narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy is a condition in which a person falls asleep spontaneously. Sometimes this happens while someone is driving, or even while someone is working on and operating dangerous machinery. It is also common for people to suffer from the condition at an office job, especially at a desk that is conducive to sleep and a comfortable environment for the sufferer.
What Causes Narcolepsy?
The causes of narcolepsy are somewhat complex. However, not sleeping regularly is one main cause. This lack of sleep might be involuntary, but it could also be a result of a person who works too hard or for whatever reason just does not sleep much.
What are the Consequences of Narcolepsy?
There are many consequences of narcolepsy, two of the main ones are hallucination and delirium. Lack of sleep can also have a mental or emotional breakdown from not sleeping properly.
How to Treat Narcolepsy
Narcolepsy can be a very unpredictable condition, and as of yet there really is no known cure. However, this condition can be managed if a person makes and effort to sleep more often. A lot of times, the main cause of narcolepsy can be spurred by the issue of insomnia that may need to be addressed if a person cannot sleep. This is part of why lifestyle changes such as participation in regular stress-reducing exercise routines or following a proper diet are recommended.
- Taking prescription medications for sleep also might help. The more soundly you sleep at night the less chance you will of falling asleep during the day.
- An alternative prescription medication treatment could also be applied. This would involve the taking of stimulants during the day to stay awake.
- Stop smoking, as this can add to sleep problems because when you come down from the nicotine high you can feel tired.
- Alcohol in excess should be avoided because it is one main cause of drowsiness.
- Eating too heavy of meals is not recommended, as digestion of these richer foods (i.e. white pasta, fried foods, sweet cakes) can cause greater fatigue.
- Try natural supplements such as tea and melatonin pills if you want to avoid prescription medication for narcolepsy.
Narcolepsy is a serious problem and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Do you or someone you know suffer from narcolepsy? Let us know how you’re dealing with it today.