Getting a good night’s sleep, consistently, is the key to maintaining optimal mental and physical health. It is also associated with a wide range of factors, related to an outstanding quality of life, including:
- Boosting immunity
- Improving relationships
- Enhancing job performance
- Promoting mental clarity
- Providing improved pain management
- Increasing productivity
- Delivering stress relief
What Is An Organic Mattress?
Organic mattresses are the healthiest mattress you can buy – made with 100% organic materials and manufactured without chemicals.
The average person spends one-third of their lifetime sleeping on their mattress (eight hours per night on average). When you sleep on an organic mattress, you avoid exposure to these harmful items, which are commonly found in non-organic mattresses:
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Chemical retardants, like polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs)
- Petroleum fillers
- Synthetic blends
- Harsh Chemicals
- Pesticide-treated fibers
Sleep with peace of mind, knowing that you won’t be exposed to chemicals, harmful off-gassing and other health problems.
How Do You Know You’re Getting An Organic Mattress?
It’s important to do your due diligence and seek proof that the items you purchase, are truly organic.
One thing organic mattress manufacturers, like PlushBeds, use to back up their organic mattresses, is third-party certifications. Third-party certifications are issued after an independent organization has reviewed the manufacturing process of a product and has independently determined that the final product complies with specific standards for safety, quality and/or performance.
Third-party certifications can help you to distinguish one mattress from another, and weed out those making false “organic” claims.
PlushBeds Organic Latex Mattresses
PlushBeds Organic Latex Mattresses have gone through rigorous vetting to receive the most highly respected organic certification’s in the mattress industry:
- GOLS – Global Organic Latex Standard. Any organic latex product that carries the GOLS Certified Organic Latex Certification meets or exceeds definitive standards in processing and manufacturing. These standards affect a variety of aspects of the life cycle of latex that include: manufacturing; processing; labeling; packaging; trading and distributing. With GOLS certified products, they must contain 95% to 100% certified organic raw materials.
- GOTS – Global Organic Textile Standard. GOTS Certification is the top processing standard in the world for organic fibers and textiles, including social and ecological criteria and backed by the entire textile supply chain’s independent certification. Defining globally recognized requirements, and ensuring the organic status, are the goals of the standard. This ranges from harvesting raw materials through socially and environmentally responsible manufacturing to providing labels that ensure credibility to the consumers. GOTS checks compliance through a dual systems, with relevant criteria that consists of residue testing and on-site auditing.
- USDA Organic Certification. Materials that qualify for the USDA Organic Certification, are comprised of 95% to 100% organic materials and no harmful chemicals. USDA Organic standards are verified by independent evaluators, who have the public interest in mind rather than agencies and organizations that are paid for their services.
- OEKO-TEX’s STANDARD 100 is the world’s independent and consistent testing and certification system for finished, semi-finished, and raw textile products, at all levels of processing. Examples include: knitted and woven fabrics; raw and finished or dyed yarns; accessories; garments; household and domestic textiles; bed linens and much more. The OEKO-TEX Standard 100 contributes to effective and high product safety, from the point of view of consumers. Regular company audits and extensive product checks also show the industry’s responsible use of chemicals in a globally and sustainable way.
- GREENGUARD GOLD equates to a white glove inspection with specific focus on emissions standards, for the mattress industry. It’s also focuses on safety standards for the elderly and children. A rigorous series of standards and tests are involved and mattresses must either meet or exceed these standards, in order to receive the respected distinction of becoming a latex mattress with the GreenGuard Gold Certification. These products go through rigorous testing that includes advanced dynamic environmental chamber tests, and prove to have low volatile organic compounds (VOCs), low emissions, ozone, phthalates and formaldehyde. Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Environment handles the GreenGuard Gold Certification process. Their mission is to promote safety, environmental health, and global sustainability. The GreenGuard Gold Certification process involves individual emissions limit testing for over 360 distinct chemicals, establishing a total chemical emissions limit and setting a phthalate emissions limit. Mattresses and other products that are safe enough to go through rigorous standards and emissions testing, and pass, offer lower risks of releasing harmful emissions and off-gassing into the air.
Why Buy an Organic Mattress?
Aside from the health benefits of purchasing an organic mattress, there are additional benefits to consider, including:
- Peace of mind. Sleep soundly, knowing you’re making a decision that’s healthy for your family and the planet.
- Social responsibility. Companies that produce organic products are committed to protecting the planet and the people who call it home. They offer livable wages to workers and invest in the communities they serve. When you support them, you help communities around the world thrive, and you empower economies in the process.
- Planetary benefits. Those who are concerned about the health of the planet and conservation of its limited resources, understand the importance of purchasing organic products. From fruits and vegetables to clothing and mattresses, the commitment to buy organic is remarkable for the planet.
PlushBeds has the perfect solution for your commitment to your health, family, and the planet, in their Botanical Bliss Organic Latex Mattress Collection.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blog/mattress/organic-mattress-buyers-guide/">PlushBeds Green Living Blog</a>.