Now that May is upon us, it is time to celebrate getting better sleep with Better Sleep Month, sponsored by the Better Sleep Council. This campaign occurs every May as a way to urge consumers to get the best sleep they can for better physical and emotional help, and also encourages purchasing new and better mattresses for a good’s night sleep. The Better Sleep Council raises awareness about what sleep does for the body and the negative health consequences of failing to get proper sleep, ranging from emotional stress to physical ailments.
Better Sleep Council
Better Sleep Month is sponsored by the Better Sleep Council (BSC), which is an organization that provides consumer education about mattresses and knowing when to replace them. The organization strives to raise awareness and help improve consumer’s sleep quality throughout their lives.
In the merry month of May, it offers additional tips and resources during Better Sleep Month to help improve the health and vitality of consumers. It offer excellent research for the International Sleep Products Association (ISPA), and urges consumers to find out more about their sleep habits and quality of their mattress during this important awareness month. It is also joining forces with lifestyle, beauty, and mom bloggers to talk about Better Sleep Month and why it is important.
Better Sleep Month 2014
The campaign for Better Sleep Month in 2014 is “Get on Top,” which is encouraging replacing your uncomfortable mattress for a better night’s sleep. Better Sleep Month also stresses the importance of proper sleep to avoid things like gaining weight, emotional stress, fatigue, confusion, and even a reduction in being able to learn new things, all of which are common with lack of sleep. More severe cases caused by lack of sleep include sleep apnea, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, and a weakened immune system.
Tips for Better Sleep
The Better Sleep Council provides a wide range of tips and suggestions for improving your sleep. Here are some to keep in mind:
- Have a proper bedtime routine where you perform the same activities every night, such as taking a shower, reading a book and turning off the television.
- Try to go to bed around the same time each night.
- Get regular exercise, preferably around the same time each day.
- Avoid caffeine, food, sugar and alcohol right before bed as it affects the quality of your sleep. Instead, focus on foods that may promote sleep.
- Improve your sleeping environment with a proper temperature for sleeping that is not too hot or too cold.
- Consider changing your mattress if you have tried all of these suggestions and are still not getting the best sleep.
- Start relaxing and unwinding well before it’s time to go to sleep.
- Eat healthy throughout the day to avoid feeling full or having gastrointestinal upset when you’re trying to fall asleep. Choose healthy bedtime snacks.
May is the perfect time to focus on sleeping better and learning the important tips provided by the Better Sleep Council for Better Sleep Month.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/better-sleep-month">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Sleep Awareness Week
- The Health Benefits of Gratitude
- How to Keep Your Sleep on Track When Working from Home