International Women’s Day is celebrated on March 8 of every year. The purpose of this day is to celebrate women around the world by honoring their contributions and achievements socially, economically, culturally, and politically.
What is International Women’s Day?
Each year, the world comes together to celebrate the many contributions of women, past, and present. It isn’t only a celebration, though. This is a day that is designated as a time to:
- Raise awareness about the plight of women’s equality, worldwide
- Lobby for increasing global gender parity
- Fundraise for various charities focused on women’s issues, concerns, and causes
The celebrations are signified with the colors of purple (justice and dignity), green (hope), and white (purity).
2021 Theme of International Women’s Day
Each year, International Women’s Day has a theme. The theme of this year’s events and gatherings is "Choose to Challenge" (#ChooseToChallenge). The idea is that challenge leads to change.
- Choose to challenge inequality
- Question stereotypes
- Call out gender bias
- Choose to seek out, and celebrate women's achievements
- Help forge an inclusive world
The goal is that those who participate will celebrate the achievements of women, raise awareness against biases women face, and act to promote equality for women.
History of International Women’s Day
It wasn’t until 1977 that the United National officially recognized International Women’s Day, though it had been growing as a movement throughout North American and Europe since 1848, when Americans Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott gathered a few hundred people in New York for the first women's rights convention in the U.S.
This one-time convention became the battle cry for women seeking civil, social, religious, and political rights. They created a movement that continues nearly 200 years later.
How Can I Support International Women’s Day?
Anyone, anywhere in the world can support International Women’s Day. From employers to those who are employed to those who simply appreciate the contributions women have made to society in general, no one is barred from celebrating on this day. These are some things you can do to show your support.
- Plan an event
- Attend an event
- Host a rally
- Make a blog post celebrating women
- Lift women up on social media
- Send in #ChooseToChallenge images
- Donate money to female-focused charities
- Run an International Women’s Day campaign
- Support female-owned businesses in your community
- Join the International Women’s Day Community
- Wear the colors of International Women’s Day — purple (justice and dignity), green (hope), and white (purity).
Plan your celebration now as International Women’s Day approaches, and decide how you’re going to support the cause of celebrating women around the world.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/celebrating-women-on-international-women-s-day">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.