So maybe you’re trying to help your elderly parents pick out their new mattress, or maybe you and your significant other are getting a little older now and are looking for something new. As we all know, issues arise with age that were nonexistent in your lives twenty years ago. There is a whole new world of considerations to think about when making any purchase, but especially when purchasing a mattress. Finding the perfect mattress for any age range can be a challenge. There are many options when it comes to choosing the right mattress for you and a lot of decisions will be made on personal opinions. Let’s find the right mattress for you today.
A great mattress option, no matter your age, are the latex mattresses. These mattresses not only provide incomparable support, but also help people with allergies and help to prevent dust mites. These mattresses are completely chemical free which is perfect for an all natural night of sleep.
eHow does a great job of breaking down the requirements for a good mattress for the elderly. The best mattress for elderly seniors must take into consideration the purchaser’s health and sleep history. For example, if a senior is experiencing sleep disorders due to medical conditions such as blood circulatory leg problems, an adjustable mattress and bed will improve blood circulation and relax muscles. Those with lower back pain, may need a mattress that is firmer, such as an adjustable air mattress. A patient who suffers from upper back and neck pain should consider plusher bedding that can allow the thoracic area and head, ” to sink into the bed to support the cervical area,” according to the website Dynamic Chiropractic.
Don’t forget to take your time. When shopping for a mattress, devote an entire day to it. Really take your time testing out each mattress for at least 15-20 minutes. Try out different sleep positions while you’re in the mattress as well. You’re going to spend possibly 15-20 years in this mattress, so you want to make sure it’s the right one before you buy it!
Memory foam mattresses. Memory foam mattress can be a wonderful selection for elderly seniors due to the ability of the foam to reshape around the body, which can eliminate pressure points on the body. One of the health benefits this type of mattress provides the body is a soothing effect to muscles and aching joints; upon awakening, there is no joint and muscle pain. This type of foam mattress, also known as visco-elastic foam, differs from regular foam because it becomes elastic in higher temperatures as it responds to body heat and provides a floating sensation to the body.
Breathable mattresses. Another mattress type that is beneficial for elderly seniors is the breathable mattress that has an open cell structure. This is a mattress that allows air to flow freely within the mattress, causing less muscle tenseness in the winter months. Seniors, like babies, have delicate bodies and need a mattress that causes less discomfort due to frigidness during cold weather.
Have you recently found a mattress that is perfect for the golden years? Let us know!
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/finding-the-perfect-mattress-for-seniors">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
- How to Keep Your Sleep on Track When Working from Home
- 5 Beds Sheets That Will Help You Sleep Cool This Summer
- Guide to Cleaning Your Bedding
- What to Know About PlushBeds MobilePlush RV Mattress Collection
- Does Better Sleep Mean Better Grades?
- Mattress Shopping: In-Store vs. Online
- Sleep Tips For Healthcare Workers
- How Sleep Helps Your Body Fight Infection
- 5 Natural Ways to Build Your Immune System
- How Did the Letters Z-z-z-z-z-z Become Synonymous With Sleep and Snoring?
- How to Build a Bedtime Routine for You AND Your Kids
- Organic and Natural Teas That May Help You Fall Asleep
- What is a Weighted Blanket and What Are Its Benefits?
- What Happens With Our Sleep as We Age
- Health Benefits of Napping
- 10 Tips to Help You Wind Down at the End of the Day
- How to Help Your Child Adjust to Daylight Savings Time Changes
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Your Sleep Position