You’ve made the decision to invest in organic mattress accessories, perhaps to go with your organic mattress. Whether it’s an interest in protecting the planet, allergies, or some other reason you’ve made this choice, it’s worth your while to learn how to protect and care for your new mattress.
Spot Clean Between “Washes”
While you may not want to machine wash your organic mattress accessories, there is a method of cleaning them, harnessing the power of the sun, discussed below. Before you get there, however, it’s important to practice a little prevention along the way.
Stains are ugly. They rob you of the joy of your beautiful organic linens and other mattress accessories, too. That’s why you want to make every effort to prevent stains from “setting in” on your organic fabrics.
Spot cleaning is an ideal way to do that. Use a mixture that’s two parts baking soda and one part water. Apply with a sponge and rub to remove the stain. Remember to use water sparingly while mattress covers and other accessories are on your bed as you run the risk of soaking through to your mattress for an uncomfortable night’s sleep.
Harness the Power of the Sun
Because so many people who make organic bedding purchasing decisions like these have a strong interest in protecting the planet, the best place to begin when caring for these items is Mother Nature. The sun provides so much more than warmth when it comes to keeping fabrics clean.
It also serves to lighten and brighten the fabrics in mattress pads and pillow cases. Mist your wool mattress covers lightly with water and then sprinkle baking soda onto it before hanging on a line to dry in the sun. The baking soda removes odors and the combination of sun and baking soda leave your mattress protector and other fabrics looking and smelling as fresh as a summer breeze after only a few hours in the summertime sunshine.
Deodorize Your Mattress
Most people think about deodorizing their mattress covers and other mattress accessories. Few people remember the importance of deodorizing their mattresses while these things are removed. Otherwise, your fresh linens are soured, somewhat, by the not-so-fresh fragrances lingering in the mattress itself.
Once you remove the pads for their regular cleaning routines, sprinkle baking soda over the surface of the mattress. Let the baking soda settle in for about thirty minutes. This gives it ample time to soak up the various aromas. Then, go over the mattress with a vacuum cleaner attachment to remove any dust, dead skin, and other debris caught in the grooves.
Keeping your mattress and organic cotton accessories clean will prolong the life of them all as well as your happiness with them. These simple steps are cost effective and earth friendly.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/how-to-keep-organic-mattress-accessories-clean-and-fresh">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Seniors and the Elderly
- Best Mattress for Heavy People
- Plush Bed vs Firm Bed: What Is The Difference?
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Mattress Certifications – GOLS, GOTS, OEKO-TEX, GreenGuard Gold
- How Much Does a Latex Mattress Weigh?
- Latex Mattress Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Reasons Why People Love their PlushBeds Latex Mattresses
- Do Latex Mattresses Sag?
- Is a Latex Mattress Good for Back Sleepers?
- Frequently Asked Questions about Latex Mattresses
- Latex Mattress Questions
- Latex Mattress Materials
- Benefits of CertiPUR-US Certified Foams in Mattresses
- Who Benefits Most from a Latex Mattress?
- Are There Chemicals in a Latex Mattress?
- Talalay vs. Dunlop
- Buying a Latex Mattress Online
- What is a GOLS Certified Organic Latex Mattress?
- The Benefits of Sleeping on a Natural Latex Mattress
- Do Latex Mattresses Off Gas?
- Where to Recycle Your Mattress
- Everything You Need to Know Before Buying a Mattress Online
- How To Choose Your Mattress Thickness
The post How to Keep Organic Mattress Accessories Clean and Fresh appeared first on PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog.