Losing weight is as easy as 1, 2, Zzzz.
As summer 2012 is rapidly fleeting, it’s time to look towards fall. For some that means a new school year or maybe a new job. Whatever it means for you, you’re going to want to look good doing it. What a lot of people don’t know is that losing weight starts with a good night’s sleep. In a study quoted by WebMD.com, researchers found that people who get less than six hours of sleep a night weigh more than people who sleep longer. Let’s look into the effects sleep can have on a person’s metabolism.
According to a recent study by Harvard University, sleep deprivation can lead to a decreased metabolic rate and high blood sugar levels after meals. Of course, losing weight requires a lot more effort than sleeping, but just like a good night’s sleep will help before a big test, a solid snooze can help to maximize the results of your dieting efforts. As you sleep, your body produces hormones that influence your activity and eating habits throughout the day. If you’re getting less than six hours of sleep, you’re losing out on those hormones that can be essential to successful weight loss.
The next question/complaint on everyone’s mind is usually: “I’m just not a very good sleeper, how can I even start to lose weight if I’m not getting enough sleep?”
The best way to ensure a good night of sleep is to find the right mattress. According to WebMD.com, you spend a third of your day in bed. This is the one time a day where nothing should derail you from your goal: sleeping. Don’t rush into buying a mattress for the sake of saving a few bucks. There are plenty of affordable mattresses and great deals out there, but make sure you do your research first. Before even looking for the right mattress, there are some questions you should ask:
- What size mattress are you looking for?
- Do you prefer a firm mattress or soft mattress?
- What’s your price range?
- Do you have any allergies (i.e. down feathers)?
What’s underneath the sheets is what really counts.
When you’re ready to shop for the right mattress, make sure you’re wary of gimmicks. You know that commercial for the Tempur-Pedic where the woman jumps on one side of the bed without disturbing the red glass of wine on the other side? Just remember it’s a commercial. Don’t be fooled by the glitz and glam of drinking in bed, go to a store (with or without the bottle of wine) and try it out for yourself before you end up purchasing a mattress over the phone.
If you’re looking for that deep and restful night of sleep, then check out the many latex mattress options out there. The natural comfort of latex will have you asleep and dreaming off the pounds in no time.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/nap-tuck-want-to-lose-weight-sleep-it-off">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
- How to Keep Your Sleep on Track When Working from Home
- 10 Ways to Sleep Better When You Work the Night Shift
- Does Better Sleep Mean Better Grades?
- Sleep Tips For Healthcare Workers
- How Sleep Helps Your Body Fight Infection
- 5 Natural Ways to Build Your Immune System
- How Did the Letters Z-z-z-z-z-z Become Synonymous With Sleep and Snoring?
- How to Build a Bedtime Routine for You AND Your Kids
- Organic and Natural Teas That May Help You Fall Asleep
- What is a Weighted Blanket and What Are Its Benefits?
- What Happens With Our Sleep as We Age
- Health Benefits of Napping
- 10 Tips to Help You Wind Down at the End of the Day