Sleeping Greener: How Organic Bedding Can Help Stop Toxins
Of all the elements that affect your sleep these days, probably one you haven’t thought of is the level of “green” in your bedroom. (And no, I’m not talking about the color of your sheets.) What I’m talking about is organic bedding. The environment you’re sleeping in can truly affect the amount of quality sleep you’re getting each night. This can include many things in you’re bedroom and going green in your room doesn’t have to be difficult. Let’s go over some easy fixes for sleeping in a greener and safer environment.
According to Huffington Post, there are simple solutions to sleeping greener. Bedding made of conventional cotton can be among the biggest offenders of toxins, specifically pesticides. Air mattresses are also known to promote the growth of mold. Air mattresses and conventional bedding are also often treated with harmful and dangerous chemical fire retardants.
Six Steps to Greener Sleeping
Making your bedroom healthy and greener is imperative but also can be easy. Here’s a simple checklist to begin making your bedroom safer for living and sleeping.
- Always buy bedding that is organic cotton, wool and latex. An organic mattress can do wonders for your sleeping environment, as well as a wool topper that can functions as a natural fire retardant. Green bedding is affordable and safer than conventional bedding.
- To control dust mites, make sure your mattresses and pillows are covered with “allergen-impermeable” zipped covers. Make sure to wash your bedding weekly in hot water with a mild laundry soap.
- Make sure to ventilate and clean the air in your bedroom and your entire home for that matter. Look into home air filtration systems, as they are actually quite affordable these days.
- Another simple and attractive solution to reducing toxin levels in the bedroom is adding houseplants to filter indoor air. NASA research concluded that “House plants can purify and rejuvenate air within our houses … safeguarding us all from any side effects connected with prevalent toxins.” Effective air cleansing houseplants include areca, lady, dwarf date and bamboo palms, rubber plants, dracaena, English ivy, ficus aalii, Boston fern, peace lily and many others.
- Try to dim the lights in your home and bedroom a couple of hours before you go to sleep each night and make sure your room is completely dark while you’re sleeping.
- Adjust the temperature in your bedroom to 68 degrees or less. This helps to create a sufficient differential between the room temperature and your body temperature. This will help promote sleep while also conserving energy.
We’ve only just scratched the surface of the options on creating a greener bedroom. There are many resources out there when it comes to sleeping toxin-free and as you can see, a lot of them are affordable and quick changes that can be done this week. After all, it is only Monday! Let us know if you try any of these green solutions and if they work for you.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/sleeping-greener-how-organic-bedding-can-help-stop-toxins">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- What Are the Different Types of Pillowtop Mattresses?
- Are Latex Mattresses Noisy?
- Mattress Thickness: How to Choose the Right One
- Which Firmness is Right for My Latex Mattress?
- Latex Mattress Buyer’s Guide: What to Choose and Why
- Talalay Latex Mattress: Dunlop or Talalay?
- Do Latex Mattresses Off Gas? Nix the VOC's
- Is a Latex Mattress Good for Back Sleepers?
- The Mattress Recommended by Chiropractors and Orthopedists
- Mattress Sizes and Bed Dimension Guide
- Will An Adjustable Bed Help You Sleep Better?
- Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide: Luxury Becoming Necessity
- What is the World's Most Expensive Mattress?
- Mattress Needs of the Baby Boomer Population
- Why Online Latex Mattress Reviews Matter to Shoppers
- PlushBeds Awarded Best Mattress Of 2018
- The Benefits of Sleeping with a Boyfriend Pillow
- A Latex Mattress Will Change the Way You Sleep
- Organize the Bedroom Without Destroying Your Sanity
- Neck Pain After Sleeping: Making Needed Adjustments
- What is Sleep Debt and Can a Latex Mattress Help?
The post Sleeping Greener: How Organic Bedding Can Help Stop Toxins appeared first on PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog.