There are many types of mattresses to choose from these days, and one of those options is a gel mattress. Gel memory foam is a type of mattress that can provide pressure relief throughout the body while also providing sleepers with quality sleep. With gel mattresses becoming more popular, it’s important to understand the technology behind the mattress, so you can make an informed buying decision.
This article will discuss what gel mattresses are, how they can benefit you depending on the type of sleeper you are, and how and where you can buy them.
What is a Gel Mattress?
To start, a gel mattress isn’t the same as a traditional memory foam mattress. It’s a kind of memory foam mattress, but it has unique qualities that make it distinct from standard memory foam.
A gel mattress is simply a memory foam mattress that contains gel beads or other gel materials inside the layers. These gel beads are usually located in the top layer of the bed, and their main purpose is to have a cooling effect, so you don’t overheat at night. This way, your body can stay cool throughout the night, helping keep you relaxed and comfortable. A gel mattress can also help relieve pressure on the body, making it great for people dealing with back pain.
Gel memory foam beds are a type of hybrid mattress. This “hybrid” designation is in reference to the design of the mattress. Hybrid mattresses are multilayer beds that combine memory foam, latex, or gel, along with an innerspring mattress system.
The gel material used in gel mattresses is similar to that found in shoe support or orthopedic padding, and is infused in a regular memory foam mattress. Mattress manufacturers often use synthetic materials to create the gel material.
What are the Benefits of a Gel Mattress?
Using a gel mattress comes with its own benefits, such as helping with motion transfer. Here are some reasons a gel mattress might be a good option for you or a partner.
- Provides full body support: The gel material is spread throughout the mattress, contouring around the body, and making sure that all parts of the body are supported. It’s particularly designed to provide cushioning and pressure relief for the joints and spine, helping reduce the possibility of pain or aches in those areas.
- Temperature regulation: This is one of the biggest features of a gel mattress. The cooling properties of a gel-infused mattress ensure that there’s enough breathability and airflow to allow for better, cooler sleep.
- Durability: While memory foam is naturally longer-lasting, gel mattresses have extra durability due to the nature of the materials (gel and viscoelastic foam) combined to make it.
- Elasticity: Gel mattresses are quick to spring back to their original shape. This feature also helps promote good sleeping posture.
- Spinal alignment: Due to the nature of a gel mattress, it can conform to any body shape, cradling pressure points, and simultaneously supporting the spine and keeping it aligned.
- Even weight distribution: Gel mattresses are designed for conforming with the contours of the body, allowing for even distribution of body weight — even when two people with different weights sleep on it.
- Hypoallergenic: Gel mattresses (and memory foam mattresses) are generally considered hypoallergenic. This means they’re typically designed to resist mold, mildew, and dust mites that can trigger allergies.
How to Know if a Gel Mattress is Right for You or Your Partner
Depending on what type of sleeper you are and your typical sleeping position, a gel mattress can be a good mattress option. Here are some reasons it might work well for you:
- If you or a partner is a hot sleeper: The body temperature regulation and cooling nature of the gel-infused memory foam mattress draws heat away from the body, making it cooler than usual. If you constantly feel hot and sweaty at night, and find it difficult to sleep because of the discomfort, you should definitely try out a gel mattress.
- If you or a partner is a side sleeper: People who sleep on their side can feel tired and suffer from aches if they put too much pressure on one side of their body. In the short term, this can be bad for productivity. In the long term, poor sleeping patterns can become a health risk. Sleeping on a gel mattress helps to evenly distribute weight over the bed, ensuring that the pressure of resting your weight on your side is absorbed by the mattress.
- If you or a partner has pressure point issues: Gel mattresses promote pressure relief and body support. If you are dealing with aches and pains in your joints, a gel mattress can provide great support, helping reduce discomfort in those areas while you sleep.
- If you or a partner needs lumbar support: If you’re in need of lumbar support, you should try out a gel memory foam mattress. The mattress can provide adequate spinal alignment and support. This is made possible by the fact that gel mattresses can conform to any body shape while supporting the spine, regardless of which way you turn. The mattress will return to its original shape very quickly, leaving no risk of rolling over into a depressed area of the bed.
- If you or a partner is a restless sleeper: If you or a partner is a restless sleeper, a gel memory foam mattress can help reduce the amount of disturbance felt due to you or your partner tossing and turning. Gel mattresses are very good at reducing motion transfer. This means that if your partner gets up or changes position during the night, you’re much less likely to notice disturbances in bed with a gel mattress.
- If you or a partner snores: A gel mattress’s pressure relief abilities help to evenly cradle the body, and can keep the neck and head aligned. This ultimately limits the pressure on the airways, and can help reduce snoring.
Discover Amazingly Restful Sleep with a Gel Mattress from PlushBeds
Whether you’re looking for a pressure-relieving mattress, or something to help you deal with heat retention so you can have a cooler sleep, PlushBeds’ patented gel memory foam mattresses — The Ocean Mist® and The Cool Bliss® Luxury Cool Gel Memory Foam Mattress — can offer exceptional coolness, comfort, and quality. In fact, they’re 30% cooler than traditional memory foam because the cooling gel dissipates body heat three times faster. Our Cool Bliss mattress also comes with five plush comfort layers to promote rejuvenating sleep.
Enjoy a 25-year warranty, and try a PlushBeds mattress free for 100 nights with our sleep trial. See the difference a PlushBeds mattress can make for your sleep today.
Don’t Worry — PlushBeds’ Gel Memory Foam Mattress is Free of Chemical Odors and Off-Gassing
PlushBeds’ gel memory foam mattresses are both CertiPUR-US and GreenGuard Gold Certified. This means our mattresses have undergone rigorous testing for chemical emissions that can aggravate allergies and sensitivities. They also use a patented fiberglass-free Eco Fire Barrier™, which is derived from natural plant fibers, and doesn’t require toxic chemicals or fire barriers made from fiberglass.
The GreenGuard Gold Certification is given to less than 1% of mattresses in the United States. What this means is that PlushBeds mattresses are free of chemical odors and off-gassing, and are generally safe in terms of chemical emissions. And, to maintain the quality of our products, we test and recertify every 90 days. Meanwhile, the CertiPUR-US seal promises that your mattress has been tested and certified to not contain ozone depleters, heavy metals, prohibited phthalates, BPDE, or formaldehyde, and it meets low VOC emissions standards.
You can take comfort in knowing that you’re sleeping on a mattress that meets the highest standards.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/what-is-a-gel-mattress-and-how-do-you-buy-one">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- How to Get Stains out of a Mattress by Material
- Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide: Luxury Becoming Necessity
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Pregnancy
- Best Mattress for Heavy People
- Memory Foam Mattress FAQ: The Next Generation Cooler Version