Green America is a not-for-profit membership organization, founded in 1982. Their mission is to harness economic power to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society.
Green America’s vision is one where all people have enough, where all communities are healthy and safe, and where the bounty of the Earth is preserved for all the generations to come. In all of their work, “green” means social and economic justice, community and environmental health, for both people and the planet.
Green America has developed four impressive strategies for making their vision a reality:
- Empower individuals to make purchasing and investing decisions that align with their beliefs concerning social justice and environmental sustainability.
- Promote business practices that are green and promote fair trade.
- Demand corporations end irresponsible business and manufacturing practices through economic action.
- Build sustainable communities throughout the United States and around the world.
Green America establishes standards by which businesses can be certified. Businesses that have been certified by Green America meet or exceed these standards and have the following:
- A values statement featured on their websites indicating its principles of environmental sustainability and social justice.
- They run their businesses in an environmentally responsible way, including the sourcing of raw materials and manufacturing and marketing their products.
- They currently sell products or services, complete with websites and all products and services listed.
Green America offers certifications for businesses in more than 40 industries including:
- Food services
- Clean energy
- Cleaning products
- Mattress manufacturing
- Apparel and textiles manufacturing
- And more.
As consumers, we tend to search online and research products before we make a purchase. We research the ingredients and materials used to make the products and we research the companies selling the products.
Green America provides consumers with a guide that can be used to research companies that claim to be “green” or “socially aware.” They also hold businesses accountable for making environmentally sustainable and socially just claims in their operations.
When you research the next “green” product you want to buy, look for the Green America Certification. This will help you determine the authenticity of those claims. In other words, a certification from Green America means the socially just and environmentally responsible claims of the company, have been confirmed by an independent source. This gives you the ability to buy with confidence, knowing you are buying products made with the standards you expect.
Green America Certified Businesses
Businesses understand that certifications lend credibility to their claims. However, not all certifications carry the same weight with consumers. That’s why it’s important to look for the Green America Certification. When you find a business that is Green America certified, you can buy with confidence, knowing that the business:
- Promotes and creates positive social change.
- Operates a “values driven” organization with principles that promote environmental sustainability and social justice.
- Practices environmental responsibility in their manufacturing, marketing, and sourcing of products and materials.
- Practices environmental responsibility in how they run their facilities and operations.
- Committed to practices that benefit the planet, their workers, their customers, and the communities they serve.
- They are socially equitable.
- Continuously seeking to improve accountability through tracking progress and operating with transparency at every turn.
Certified Green Businesses meet the rigorous standards set forth by Green America. Businesses must work hard to prove they meet the rigorous standards to achieve Green Business certification.
Look For The Green America Business Certification
If environmental sustainability and social responsibility are important to you, then look for the Green America Business certification. It can help you identify products that live up to your expectations for treatment of employees, communities, and the planet.
This knowledge allows you to truly use your wallet to influence the way businesses conduct operations, build products and market their products and services. The more people commit to purchasing products from Green America Certified Businesses, the more companies act socially just and environmentally responsible. This places true power in the hands of consumers, like you, to enact change in businesses of all shapes and sizes.
PlushBeds is proud to be a Green America Certified Business. If you’re interested in finding more green products, services and businesses, you can use Green America’s handy search tool.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/what-is-a-green-america-certified-business">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Sustainable Bedding
- Sustainable Bedding
- 10 Reasons Why People Love their PlushBeds Latex Mattresses
- Global Recycling Day
- How to Find a Sustainable Mattress