The bedroom is a surprising source of allergens if you’re allergy prone. Dust mites, in particular, are a main culprit if you suffer from allergies. Unfortunately, nearly 60 percent of dust mites live in the bedroom, according to the National Institutes of Health.
These mites can survive up to three years in your bedroom, producing 200 times their body weight in waste. The area of infestations is primarily focused in the area of the bed, including in your mattress and pillows. Mattress covers can help reduce your exposure to dust mites – if you buy the right one.
It’s not just the mites you’re allergic to. In fact, the odds are likely that it’s their waste that is the cause of your allergy woes. That’s on top of the dust itself, which is known to kick up a good sneeze.
Fortunately, a mattress cover can help protect you. This guide will help you make an informed buying decision when you’re looking for a mattress cover, so you can also find one that will help reduce your allergy problems.
Features to Look for When Choosing a Mattress Cover for Allergies
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) reports that nearly 50 million Americans experience some types of allergies each year. AAFA reports that when it comes to chronic illnesses in the U.S., allergies are the sixth most common causes.
These are features you want to look for when choosing a mattress cover to help you find relief from your bedroom-related allergy symptoms.
- Made with hypoallergenic materials: Obviously, you don’t want to choose a mattress cover that could cause allergy issues in its own right. Choose one that is made with hypoallergenic materials as well as non-toxic materials that won’t release VOCs (volatile organic compounds) into the air inside your home.
- Built to be allergen and dust mite proof: These factors are especially important when buying a mattress cover for allergies. These are specifically what you want to see in the mattress protector you choose, and one you want to be a prominent feature listed for the cover.
- Protection from liquids: Mold and mildew can cause all kinds of problems for your mattress and your allergies. A waterproof mattress cover helps to keep the water out, so that mold and mildew do not become problems for you.
- Breathable to prevent overheating: While you want the mattress cover to keep out allergens, dust mites, and other common issues, you also need it to be breathable for the sake of your comfort while sleeping. Breathable mattress covers help to prevent you from getting too hot as you sleep.
- Washable for easy care: The other thing you need to look for when buying a mattress cover for allergies is your ability to wash the cover. This includes the ease with which you can wash it. For instance, if you need to dry clean or hand wash the mattress cover, it becomes far more problematic to do so. This can be instrumental in your ability to prevent allergy flare ups, however, especially if you wash your mattress cover every couple of weeks, or at least once a month during allergy season.
- Fits securely to prevent slipping: The other thing you want to do is make sure you buy a mattress cover that doesn’t slip off your mattress every time you roll over in bed. One way to do this is to purchase a mattress cover with deep pockets that can comfortably accommodate your mattress depth.
Why Buy PlushBeds Mattress Protectors?
PlushBeds has a long commitment to making products that are good for the planet and good for the people who live here. Our mattress protectors are no exception to this rule we live by. We offer two different mattress pads that are both good for people who suffer from allergies, and are great compliments to our natural and organic mattresses and memory foam mattresses.
Classic Mattress Protector: Our Classic Mattress Protector is designed to accommodate mattress depths between six inches and 22 inches, are waterproof (thanks to our H2ProTM liquid-proof membrane), breathable, and allergen and dust mite proof. It is machine washable (no bleach) and dryable on low heat. Our classic mattress protection comes with a five year warranty.
- Organic Cotton Mattress Protector: The PlushBeds Organic Cotton Mattress Protector is GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) Certified, so you can buy with confidence that it is responsibly sourced and manufactured, and poses no harm to you or your family. It protects your mattress from allergens, dust mites, stains, and spills, and is made with 100 percent organic cotton jersey on the top, and laminated with a micro-thin polyurethane layer for waterproofing underneath. Enjoy our five year warranty when you purchase our organic cotton mattress protector.
When you’re working to make your home healthier for everyone, even those who suffer from allergies, it’s important to purchase products that reflect your desire to do just that. PlushBeds offers a wide range of products that can help you reduce common allergens found in the bedroom.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/what-is-the-best-mattress-cover-for-allergies">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- How To Sleep Comfortably with Fibromyalgia
- How Long Should a Mattress Last?
- The Ultimate Holiday Gift Guide To Surprise Your Loved Ones
- How to Get Stains out of a Mattress by Material
- How to Choose the Best Organic Mattress Protector