Sustainability is getting a lot of press these days. But, is it really important to buy mattresses made with sustainable materials? The short answer is yes. Mattresses made with sustainable materials are not only healthy to sleep on, but they ensure we will have trees, forests and other natural materials in the future.
What Are Sustainable Mattress Materials?
There are many things that make mattress materials sustainable:
- Made from ethically sourced, renewable, organic and natural resources, that grow swiftly and abundantly
- No use of chemical pesticides when growing the rubber trees
- No chemical fertilizers used in the growing process
- Long lasting, durable
- Completely recyclable, meaning they are friendly to busting landfills
- Responsible manufacturing
Natural latex mattresses are popular not only for their comfort, but also for their healthy and sustainable materials. Natural Latex is a biological byproduct of the rubber tree. It begins as a milky liquid, derived from ‘tapping’ live rubber trees, which grow in tropical climates around the world. Trees are not harmed and they provide a sustainable resource for latex over the course of the tree’s natural lifespan, often upwards of 50 years. It is a natural, renewable resource that is easily biodegradable.
What Is Sustainability?
Sustainability is more than just a buzzword. It describes something important when it comes to natural resources. Replenishment. For example, for every tree that is cut down to create a product, such as a mattress foundation, something must be done to replace that tree, or it will have a detrimental effect on the planet.
It’s not simply about planting another tree to replace the one that’s been lost, but about how quickly that tree will reach maturation. Some trees, after all, grow faster than others, and reach maturation rates much more quickly, while others take many years to get to the same point.
Sustainability takes this growth cycle into account. Companies that create sustainable products go to great lengths to ensure they use materials that are robust, grow abundantly, and can be replenished quickly.
With this thought in mind, it’s more important than ever to shift focus when buying products to those made sustainably. These traits make a tremendous difference in the quality of the product and the effect the mattress has on the planet and the health of your family.
Why Are Sustainable Mattress Materials So Important?
The world’s current population is 7.2 billion with expected growth to 9.6 billion by the year 2050. The vast majority of the world’s population sleeps on some type of a mattress. The average person will go through several mattresses in the course of a lifetime, so that’s a lot of mattresses!
purchase sustainable mattresses, you’re
buying products that do the following:
- Improve the health in your home. They’re able to do this because they aren’t contaminated with pesticides, chemicals, dyes, etc.
- Protect and conserve natural resources. This is because sustainable materials are planted and harvested responsibly, with conservation of the earth’s limited resources in mind.
- Be kind to the planet. It’s not just your home you’re helping when you buy sustainable mattresses and other products. It’s the planet, too. Sustainable products reduce smog, global warming, nutrient depletion of soil, and deforestation. So, it’s not only good for the planet today, but for years down the road.
These things are important because we only have one planet. The same planet your children, their children, and their children’s children have to live on, too. Sustainable manufacturing today ensures they’ll still have trees, forests, and other natural materials to build with in the future.
How Can You Find Mattress Made With Sustainable Materials?
As a consumer, it’s important to research the materials used, in each layer of your mattress. Also, look for third party certifications for these materials. Third party certifications are issued by independent organizations after they have inspected the raw material and/or final product and they have independently determined that it complies with specific standards for safety, quality and performance.
Seek out mattresses that have the following certifications:
- GOLS – Global Organic Latex Standard. Any organic latex product that carries the GOLS Certified Organic Latex Certification meets or exceeds definitive standards in processing and manufacturing. These standards affect a variety of aspects of the life cycle of latex that include: manufacturing; processing; labeling; packaging; trading and distributing. With GOLS certified products, they must contain 95% to 100% certified organic raw materials.
- GOTS – Global Organic Textile Standard. GOTS Certification is the top processing standard in the world for organic fibers and textiles, including social and ecological criteria and backed by the entire textile supply chain’s independent certification. Defining globally recognized requirements, and ensuring the organic status, are the goals of the standard. This ranges from harvesting raw materials through socially and environmentally responsible manufacturing to providing labels that ensure credibility to the consumers.
- USDA Organic Certification. Materials that qualify for the USDA Organic Certification, are comprised of 95% to 100% organic materials and no harmful chemicals. USDA Organic standards are verified by independent evaluators, who have the public interest in mind rather than agencies and organizations that are paid for their services.
- OEKO-TEX’s STANDARD 100 is for finished, semi-finished, and raw textile products, at all levels of processing. The OEKO-TEX Standard 100 contributes to effective and high product safety, from the point of view of consumers. Regular company audits and extensive product checks also show the industry’s responsible use of chemicals in a globally and sustainable way.
- GREENGUARD GOLD has a specific focus on emissions standards, for the mattress industry. It’s also focuses on safety standards for the elderly and children. A rigorous series of standards and tests are involved and mattresses must either meet or exceed these standards, in order to receive the respected distinction of being a mattress with the GreenGuard Gold Certification.
PlushBeds Commitment to Sustainability
At PlushBeds, sustainability is a defining characteristic of who we are and how we do business on a daily basis. Our commitment is reflected in all aspects of our operations. Our products are healthy, environmentally responsible and safe for our employees, consumers and the environment.
We handcraft our mattresses using the highest quality, environmentally friendly, consciously-sourced, certified organic raw materials, which come from renewable resources. Our mattresses contain no synthetic blends, no fillers, no dyes, no carcinogenic adhesives, no chemicals and no pesticides.
PlushBeds mattresses are also GOLS, GOTS, Oeko-Tex Standard 100 and GreenGuard Gold certified. And PlushBeds is a Green America® certified business, member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council, The Forest Stewardship Council, Rainforest Alliance and we offset our carbon emission via our partnership with TerraPass.
PlushBeds mattresses allow you to make sustainable and healthy buying choices, all while obtaining your best night’s sleep. You can get the best of both worlds by making the right decision for your family, the planet, and the quality of sleep you’ll enjoy every night.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/which-mattresses-are-made-with-sustainable-materials">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Seniors and the Elderly
- Best Mattress for Heavy People
- Plush Bed vs Firm Bed: What Is The Difference?
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Mattress Certifications – GOLS, GOTS, OEKO-TEX, GreenGuard Gold
- How Much Does a Latex Mattress Weigh?
- Latex Mattress Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Reasons Why People Love their PlushBeds Latex Mattresses
- Do Latex Mattresses Sag?
- Is a Latex Mattress Good for Back Sleepers?
- Frequently Asked Questions about Latex Mattresses
- Latex Mattress Questions
- Latex Mattress Materials
- Benefits of CertiPUR-US Certified Foams in Mattresses
- Who Benefits Most from a Latex Mattress?
- Are There Chemicals in a Latex Mattress?
- Talalay vs. Dunlop
- Buying a Latex Mattress Online
- What is a GOLS Certified Organic Latex Mattress?
- The Benefits of Sleeping on a Natural Latex Mattress
- Do Latex Mattresses Off Gas?
- Where to Recycle Your Mattress
- How To Choose Your Mattress Thickness
The post Which Mattresses Are Made With Sustainable Materials? appeared first on PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog.