When you purchase organic bed sheets, you are making an investment in the quality of your sleep. Like any investment, you want to take care of it, so you can enjoy strong returns for many years to come.
When it comes to organic bed sheets, you have an added component to the care process. You want to maintain the organic purity of your bed sheets. This guide will help you understand why it is so important to properly care for your organic bed sheets, and the necessary steps to do so.
What are Organic Bed Sheets?
Organic bed sheets are commonly made with organic cotton. This means the cotton used in making the sheets has been certified organic, declaring that it is free of the following potentially harmful ingredients:
- Synthetic fertilizers
- Other chemicals
- Genetic modifications
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) offers independent verification that the organic cotton used to make sheets are free of these harmful ingredients. GOTS is a respected authority around the world for monitoring and assuring that businesses stand behind their promises of organic textile materials.
Benefits of Organic Bed Sheets
There are many benefits to using organic sheets. Some will resonate more intensely with you than others, depending on your current priorities in life. However, people from all walks of life appreciate the benefits that go with organic bed sheets, including those listed below.
- No toxic chemicals are used to make the sheets. When it comes to the health of your family, you don’t want to compromise by buying bed sheets that can cause respiratory ailments, dizziness, allergic reactions, and skin irritation. This is especially prominent among children who sleep on bed sheets that have been made with dyes, chemicals, and pesticides.
- A better choice for the planet. Whether you go out of your way to make buying decisions that are better for the planet or not, you can sleep easier on your new organic bed sheets knowing that this is one buying decision that will help to protect the planet for your children, grandchildren, and their children.
- Durability in spades. Because organic cotton hasn’t been exposed to the chemicals and other materials that break fibers down, organic cotton bed sheets last longer than sheets made with excessive processing and chemical exposure. This means your investment will last longer than an equal investment in bed sheets that aren’t made with organic materials.
- Temperature moderation. Unlike synthetic fibers that block air circulation to the body, organic cotton allows air to flow through freely. This helps to wick moisture away, and allows you to remain cool and comfortable throughout the night.
- Biodegradable. Unlike many chemical-laden synthetic bed sheets, organic bed sheets are completely biodegradable. The fact that they can be broken down and returned to the earth quickly means less waste. Combine that with the longer life expectation of organic bed sheets, and you have fewer sheets in landfills across the country.
- Higher quality feel. Some people simply like the higher quality feel of organic bed sheets over other types of bed sheets on the market today. If you’re looking for a taste of luxury, organic bed sheets are a must.
Caring For Your Organic Bed Sheets
Now that you understand why making the investment in organic bed sheets is important, it’s time to learn how you can properly care for your organic bed sheets. These tips will help.
- Wash your organic bed sheets, by themselves, in cool or cold water, but no water hotter than warm.
- Use natural plant based, or eco-friendly laundry detergent and avoid bleach of any kind.
- Line dry or tumble dry on low. Line drying your sheets in the sunshine does wonders for whitening and brightening that bleach cannot hope to match, without adding unnecessary chemicals. If you want to add a little whitening power to your detergent, add ½ cup of baking soda to the wash once your machine fills with water. This is in addition to the natural detergent you choose.
- Avoid using fabric softeners. If you absolutely need to soften the fabric, add ¼ cup of vinegar to your machine’s fabric softener dispenser instead.
- Line dry whenever possible. If you must use a machine, remove your sheets while slightly damp, and lay flat to dry without wrinkles.
- Store your bedding in a cool, dry place where it can breathe. This will prevent discoloring.
- Make your bed and enjoy!
Simple care instructions like these can help you extend the life of your organic bed sheets. Try them today to see what a difference they make.
PlushBeds Organic Bed Sheets
Here at PlushBeds, we offer 100 percent GOTS certified organic, long staple cotton gorgeous sateen sheet sets. The 300 thread count Egyptian cotton sheet set features organic certification by GOTS.
What’s so special about these sheets? Besides being organic, they have a luxuriously soft feel to them. They are lightweight and they also help you to sleep cool. Also, they are hypoallergenic and they have no chemicals or dyes in them, which make them a great choice for those with sensitive skin.
We recommend washing PlushBeds Organic Cotton Sateen Sheet Set with machine wash warm or cold. Then, dry on low, and promptly remove them from the dryer for fewer wrinkles.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/caring-for-your-organic-cotton-bed-sheets">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.