How Often Should You Change Your Sheets? July 08, 2020
PlushBeds Independence Day 2020 Mattress Sale July 02, 2020
How Your Mattress Protector Serves and Protects July 02, 2020
10 Ways to Sleep Better When You Work the Night Shift June 17, 2020
Posted on by Amber Merton
People suffering from the ill effects of a hangover are often easy to spot. They’re the ones wearing sunglasses inside, moving at a snail’s pace, and wincing at whispers as though they were steel drums being beaten with hammers a mere two inches from their sensitive ears. If you’re one of these hangover sufferers, there’s only one thing on your mind at the moment. You want relief. And the faster the better.
For many people in your predicament, sleeping off a hangover sounds like the best possible solution. In fact, it’s often the recommended solution of choice. Your body needs time to recalibrate itself and recover. Sleep provides that time and allows your body to do these things more efficiently. Here are a few other things you should keep in mind that might help you avoid the worst damage a hangover can do.
Prevention is the best cure for many things in life. If you have a major celebration planned or know you’re going to be drinking, it’s a good idea to plan ahead and take a few steps, at least according to Prevention magazine, to prevent the misery that often follows a light night of drink and dance.
1) Eat a healthy meal beforehand. Eat foods that will remain in your stomach longer such as high-fiber or fatty foods so that you’re not adding alcohol to an already empty stomach.
2) Replace electrolytes when you get home by drinking a sports drink, like Gatorade.
3) Drink water throughout the evening. Mixing water with your alcohol allows your body a little recovery time between drinks and gives you something else to help flush the alcohol from your system throughout the evening.
Recovering from Hangovers
These steps may not sound very exciting, but when you’re in the throes of a hangover, you don’t really need exciting. They are, however, believed to be effective and that’s the most important thing about hangover remedies.
1) Drink plenty of water. This will make you need to relieve yourself in other ways more frequently, which will in turn flush the alcohol from your system more rapidly.
2) Eat asparagus. While asparagus might not make your top ten list of midnight munchies of choice to go along with your evening on the town, it should be part of your hangover recovery process, according to this recent article in U.S. News & World Report. Who knew that asparagus not only helps alleviate many hangover symptoms, but it also acts as a diuretic that will remove even more alcohol from your system?
3) Take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen, reports the Mayo Clinic. Acetaminophen when coupled with excessive amounts of alcohol can cause permanent liver damage and aspirin can irritate an already weak stomach. Ibuprofen is a widely available over the counter pain reliever that isn’t, at this time, associated with negative side effects when treating hangovers. Be sure that your doctor approves of you taking ibuprofen, however.
Sleeping off hangovers is often the way to go, the U.S. News & World Report goes on to say. However, for the times when you can’t simply sleep it off, the above tips should help you get back on your feet a little bit faster than trying to go it alone.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/sleeping-off-a-hangover">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
- Sleep Tips For Healthcare Workers
- 5 Natural Ways to Build Your Immune System
- How Did the Letters Z-z-z-z-z-z Become Synonymous With Sleep and Snoring?
- How to Build a Bedtime Routine for You AND Your Kids
- Organic and Natural Teas That May Help You Fall Asleep
- What is a Weighted Blanket and What Are Its Benefits?
- What Happens With Our Sleep as We Age
- Health Benefits of Napping
- 10 Tips to Help You Wind Down at the End of the Day
- How to Help Your Child (and You) Adjust to Daylight Savings Time Changes
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Your Sleep Position
- Parent’s Guide to Healthy Sleep for Children
- How to Create a Healthy Morning Routine
- 10 Healthy Foods For Better Sleep
is added to your shopping cart.