Density Affects the Feel of Your Mattress
Many factors affect the way natural latex mattresses feel. The textiles used in creating the encasement of the mattress, the amount of wool used when making the mattress, and even the tightness of the encasement all play a role in the overall feel of the mattress. Just like the latex mattress core contributes to the shape, form and definition, the density of the mattress is also a huge factor in the way it feels to an individual user. It’s definitely a factor worth a little more of an in-depth explanation.
ILD of Natural Latex
While ILD can stand for the Institute for Liberty and Democracy, Interstitial Lung Disease, International Labor Defense, and Injection Laser Diode, in terms of mattresses, ILD stands for Indentation Load Deflection. It’s a measurement process, which was standardized in Great Britain. It’s used to determine the firmness of materials such as mattresses.
How does it accomplish this lofty goal? By measuring the amount of pressure required to compress, or indent, the foam to 25 percent of its original thickness. Firmer foam mattresses require greater force to indent, while softer mattresses require less force. Natural latex mattresses typically have an ILD range between 20 ILD for the softest mattresses and 45 ILD for the firmest mattresses.
Measuring the Actual Density of a Mattress
Another indicator of the density of a mattress is its actual density. Don’t worry; this isn’t a trick of the eye. Density is a scientific unit of measurement. It determines the mass per unit volume of the mattress. It is expressed as kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3). The densities vary among natural latex mattresses with lower numbers, such as 60 kg/m3 as the softest densities, and higher numbers like 95 kg/m3 representing the firmest densities.
Many people are surprised to discover that two mattresses, despite having the same density, or ILD, can feel completely different. As mentioned above, other mitigating factors help determine how dense or firm a mattress is once it leaves the “showroom” floor. If you’re looking for a specific density or firmness to the mattress, it’s a good idea to purchase a natural latex mattress from a retailer that offers a 90-day or longer period to try out the mattress and make sure it’s a good fit for you.
However, there is one other option worth considering. You could buy factory direct from a latex mattress manufacturer. The benefits of sleeping on a 100% natural latex mattress go far beyond a warranty that’s generally better than the standard for retail outlets. The real benefit is that you get maximum customization when you choose this option. You can even purchase a latex mattress that is denser on one side than on the other side. You get the benefits of a sleep number type bed without the potential drawbacks because you can customize each side to the desired (or required) firmness of each occupant.
Finding the right mattress with the right density for your sleep needs and comfort — and doesn’t leave you feeling sleep deprived — doesn’t have to be a scavenger hunt, especially when you can test out a mattress without a long-term commitment to make sure it’s the right choice for your sleep needs. That’s one of the reasons natural latex is such a great option for so many people.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/latex-mattress-density">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide
- Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Seniors and the Elderly
- Best Mattress for Heavy People
- Plush Bed vs Firm Bed: What Is The Difference?
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Mattress Certifications – GOLS, GOTS, OEKO-TEX, GreenGuard Gold
- Which Mattress Is Best For Me Quiz
- How Much Does a Latex Mattress Weigh?
- Latex Mattress Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Reasons Why People Love their PlushBeds Latex Mattresses
- Do Latex Mattresses Sag?
- Is a Latex Mattress Good for Back Sleepers?
- Frequently Asked Questions about Latex Mattresses
- Latex Mattress Questions
- Latex Mattress Materials
- Benefits of CertiPUR-US Certified Foams in Mattresses
- Who Benefits Most from a Latex Mattress?
- Are There Chemicals in a Latex Mattress?
- Talalay vs. Dunlop
- Buying a Latex Mattress Online
- What is a GOLS Certified Organic Latex Mattress?
- The Benefits of Sleeping on a Natural Latex Mattress
- Do Latex Mattresses Off Gas?
- Latex Mattress Buying Guide
- How to Find a Sustainable Mattress
- Where to Recycle Your Mattress
- Everything You Need to Know Before Buying a Mattress Online
- How To Choose Your Mattress Thickness