When it comes to getting sound sleep, very little is as important as having a comfortable bed. After all, what are beds for if not a place to sleep and relax after a tiring day?
The whole idea of sleep is to help you recalibrate and get your body and brain restored and reenergized. Not having quality sleep can make it hard for your body to function properly. Similarly, the whole idea of a mattress topper is to improve the quality of your sleep by making your sleep surface more comfortable. As the name suggests, mattress toppers are removable layers placed on regular mattresses to provide extra support and cushioning. They can make you feel more comfortable and protect your mattress. Don’t confuse mattress toppers with mattress pads, mattress covers, or mattress protectors, though — they’re not the same.
Mattress toppers can be made from a number of materials — latex, memory foam, gel foam, egg-crate foam, cotton, polyester blend, or down alternatives — and are designed for different kinds of people. In this article, we’ll discuss what an orthopedic topper is, what makes a mattress topper orthopedic, and why you should consider getting one for your bed.
What’s the Purpose of a Mattress Topper?
The primary purpose of a mattress topper is to make sleeping more comfortable. It’s like adding another layer to your mattress.
Mattress toppers are designed to offer support and provide pressure relief for certain pain points in the body. They can also protect your mattress from stains, spills, and general wear and tear. Usually, this tends to prolong the life span of your mattress — even extending the life of a really old mattress. Some mattress toppers even come with washable covers, which is great since the topper itself might not be machine-washable.
Mattress toppers can benefit not just you but also your mattress — offering bodily comfort and support, extending the life of your mattress, and possibly saving you from spending money on a new mattress before you really need to.
What is an Orthopedic Mattress Topper?
An orthopedic mattress topper is a mattress topper designed to provide support for your joints. It offers pressure relief by ensuring your spine is correctly aligned and your weight is evenly distributed throughout your body — so too much pressure isn’t exerted on your back and joints while you sleep. This type of mattress topper is generally recommended for those recovering from an injury, older people, and even people who are physically active.
What Does Orthopedic Really Mean?
Orthopedics describes a branch of medicine that studies the spine and joints. Over the years, the field has carried out several clinical studies to discover that chronic lower back pain is one cause of sleeping disorders. This breakthrough discovery, among other factors, led to the design of mattresses and mattress toppers that help prevent back pain or serve people who have back pain or joint issues.
What Qualifies a Mattress Topper as Orthopedic?
There’s no known industry standard for what qualifies a mattress topper as orthopedic. However, if a mattress topper is optimized based on the findings from medical studies in orthopedics, it’s generally referred to as an orthopedic mattress topper. So, if a mattress topper is medium firm, provides support for your back — whether you’re a side sleeper or back sleeper — and helps relieve back pain, it can be a good option.
Mattress toppers can be made of different materials that can determine how they feel and how they affect your sleep experience. Let’s take a quick look at some top mattress topper materials:
- Natural latex: Natural latex mattress toppers are made from latex obtained from rubber trees and can offer outstanding pressure relief. PlushBeds’ 100% Natural Latex Topper can transform your mattress while providing soothing pressure relief and superior support. Depending on your orthopedic needs, it comes in multiple firmness levels from a soft mattress topper to extra-firm. It’s also hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, dust mite resistant, and mildew resistant.
- Memory foam: PlushBeds’ Memory Foam Topper is GreenGuard Gold and CertiPur-US certified and emits no harmful gasses or odors. It’s also a great option for those looking for pressure relief: Our 4-pound density topper is slightly softer and ideal for pressure relief, while our high-density 5.34-pound mattress topper is more supportive and firm. A medium-firm mattress topper can be ideal for side or back sleepers. If you’re looking for a bit more cooling action, though, our Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper can help you sleep cooler. This is due to its open cell structure, which enhances air flow and keeps you well ventilated.
- Down alternative: PlushBeds’ Down Alternative Mattress Topper is made of premium down alternative, which mimics the soft, cozy sensation of high “fill power” down. This topper is also good for easing pressure points and pain from sleeping on a too-firm mattress — a particularly good option for side sleepers. It’s also breathable, offers support and comfort without any odors or poky quills, and is hypoallergenic.
- Wool: A wool mattress topper, like PlushBeds’ Handmade Natural Wool Topper, is both soft and supportive, providing pressure relief with a thick layer of cushioning that eases aches and pains. And because of its wool component, it can absorb moisture and prevent the transmission of heat — helping to promote a longer REM cycle and lower resting heart rate during sleep.
Mattress toppers can come in a variety of sizes, such as twin size, twin XL, king size, queen size, and California king — just make sure to choose a size that fits your current mattress.
Why an Orthopedic Mattress Topper is Beneficial
Orthopedic mattress toppers have various advantages, including:
- Pressure-relieving: If you have pain in your body or joints, orthopedic mattress toppers come highly recommended. Because of how they’re designed and the material used during production, mattress toppers can offer additional support to your mattress — especially for mattresses that have lost some of their firmness — and help you maintain a balanced sleeping posture. Mattress toppers provide an even distribution of your weight, which enhances spine alignment.
- Promotes quality sleep: One of the key benefits of an orthopedic mattress topper is its ability to reduce restlessness and absorb movement. Orthopedic mattress toppers are designed to suit body contouring; they help keep the body in a well-rested position. This is especially good if you toss and turn often while sleeping, or if you share your mattress with a partner who does the same.
- Extends the life of your mattress: If you invest in a quality mattress topper, like the ones from PlushBeds, they can protect your mattress from stains, spills, and wear and tear — possibly extending your mattress’s life span.
Can an Orthopedic Mattress Topper Help with Back Pain?
An orthopedic mattress topper is highly recommended for people with back pain. It can help keep the spine straight and support the back, elbows, hips, and neck. Because of the extra support it offers, it can be particularly useful for those with sagging mattresses who may experience pressure buildup and back pain while they sleep.
Discover Premium Mattress Toppers from PlushBeds
If you’re looking for extra comfort and better-quality sleep, investing in a mattress topper can be worth it — the benefits can quickly outweigh the cost of getting one, especially when you buy a quality mattress topper.
PlushBeds offers a variety of premium mattress topper options — including natural latex and down alternative — all designed to suit different sleep needs. Our mattress toppers also come with either a two- or five-year warranty and are made in the USA.
Looking for a mattress topper that offers authentic comfort, superior support, and soothing pressure relief so you can sleep better? Check out PlushBeds today and get better sleep tonight.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/what-is-an-orthopedic-topper">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- What is a Mattress Topper and How can it Change Your Sleep?
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- 5 Things to Know Before Buying a Gel Mattress Topper
- The Mattress Recommended by Chiropractors and Orthopedists
- This vs. That: Mattress Topper vs. Pad
- How to Choose the Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
- Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide: Luxury Becoming Necessity
- 5 Things to Know Before You Use a Mattress Topper
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Pregnancy
- Best Mattress for Back Pain: Prevent and Alleviate