“Shoulder pain is a common and disabling complaint. The reported annual incidence of shoulder pain in primary care is 14.7 per 1000 patients per year with a lifetime prevalence of up to 70%,” according to a 2011 BioMed Central report on musculoskeletal disorders. That’s why finding the right mattress is so important. Of course, it’s not just about finding the right mattress for shoulder pain. You also need to find the best mattress for side sleepers or back sleepers, as the wrong mattress for the way you sleep can also serve to exacerbate shoulder and/or back pain.
Common Types of Shoulder Pain
According to The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, shoulder pain typically falls into four categories:
1) Tendon inflammation
Common Conditions Associated with Shoulder Pain
If you are experiencing shoulder pain, there’s a good chance you have one of the following conditions.
- Arthritis – While there are many different types of arthritis, the one most commonly associated with shoulder pain is osteoarthritis. The symptoms of this particular type of arthritis – swelling, stiffness, and pain – are often associated with aging. However, the pain of this condition tends to develop slowly and grows worse over the years. It’s a good idea to consider finding the best mattress for arthritis if you suffer from osteoarthritis.
- Bursitis – Bursitis is a condition in which tiny fluid-filled sacs in the shoulder, called bursa, swell in the area between the rotator cuff and acromion. The shoulder becomes inflamed and common daily activities can become extremely painful.
- Tendonitis – This condition is one that happens over time as the tendons wear down. Acute tendonitis is often the result of excessive motions (throwing balls or working overhead) while chronic tendonitis is a degenerative process that is often the result of arthritis or age.
- Tendon Tears – Tears in the tendons can result from specific acute injuries or from advanced aging. The most common injuries of this nature occur with biceps tendon injuries and rotator cuff tears.
What is the Best Mattress Choice for Your Shoulder Pain?
Chronic shoulder pain can create all kinds of problems, including an inability to get a good night’s sleep. That opens a whole new window of problems to deal with because of what sleep does for the body. That’s why choosing the right mattress is so important.
What you need in a mattress is firm support that provides adequate cushioning for your shoulder. Pillow top mattresses are often the first thought that comes to mind but they don’t provide the right support to meet your needs. Instead, you should consider a natural latex mattress, memory foam mattress, or memory foam topper. These types of mattresses provide the necessary support, but also provide a gentle landing for your shoulder as you shift and adjust during sleep. Especially for those who sleep on their side, where the weight of the body is concentrated on the shoulder and hip, the latex foam mattress reduces pressure points as it conforms to the curvature of the individual sleeper’s body and distributes the body weight more evenly.
Don’t let shoulder pain keep you up nights. The right mattress can help you get the support your shoulder needs so you can get a great night’s sleep.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/best-mattress-for-shoulder-pain">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide
- Sleeping After Shoulder Surgery
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Seniors and the Elderly
- Best Mattress for Heavy People
- Plush Bed vs Firm Bed: What Is The Difference?
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Mattress Certifications – GOLS, GOTS, OEKO-TEX, GreenGuard Gold
- Which Mattress Is Best For Me Quiz
- How Much Does a Latex Mattress Weigh?
- Latex Mattress Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Reasons Why People Love their PlushBeds Latex Mattresses
- Do Latex Mattresses Sag?
- Is a Latex Mattress Good for Back Sleepers?
- Frequently Asked Questions about Latex Mattresses
- Latex Mattress Questions
- Latex Mattress Materials
- Benefits of CertiPUR-US Certified Foams in Mattresses
- Who Benefits Most from a Latex Mattress?
- Are There Chemicals in a Latex Mattress?
- Talalay vs. Dunlop
- Buying a Latex Mattress Online
- What is a GOLS Certified Organic Latex Mattress?
- The Benefits of Sleeping on a Natural Latex Mattress
- Do Latex Mattresses Off Gas?
- PlushBeds' Highly-Acclaimed Mattresses Earn More Than 80 Awards
- Where to Recycle Your Mattress
- Everything You Need to Know Before Buying a Mattress Online
- How To Choose Your Mattress Thickness
- The Health Benefits of Gratitude