PlushBeds Independence Day 2020 Mattress Sale July 02, 2020
How Your Mattress Protector Serves and Protects July 02, 2020
10 Ways to Sleep Better When You Work the Night Shift June 17, 2020
15 Benefits of a Natural Latex Mattress Topper June 01, 2020
Posted on by Alex Wood
Buying a latex mattress is a very personal choice. There is not one latex mattress thickness and firmness that is perfect for everyone. Therefore, it’s important that you are able to customize your mattress, so that it’s perfect for your sleeping pattern and body type.
Latex mattresses are very popular today. Not only are they the healthiest and most comfortable mattress, but they offer a limitless range of thicknesses. Most latex mattresses range in thicknesses from 6 to 13 inches. So, how do you determine which latex mattress thickness is best for your needs?
The answer varies, to some degree, according to the following factors:
- The type of latex mattress you’re buying (dunlop, talalay, hybrid, etc.)
- The level of support you need while sleeping – typically determined by whether you sleep on your back, side, or stomach
- The level of comfort (firmness or softness) you require from a mattress
- Your body weight and the body weight of your partner
- The construction of the mattress (how many layers)
Here are a few things you need to know about latex mattress thickness and what it means for you:
The Thickest Latex Mattress Is Not Always Best
Sometimes “thicker is just thicker.” You must explore the materials in each layer of your mattress, in order to determine whether the thickest mattress is best for you.
For example, back and stomach sleepers typically prefer a firmer mattress. This means they will prefer a thinner mattress, which brings them closer to the supportive latex core. The 6 inch to 9 inch latex mattresses typically work well for back sleepers.
Side sleepers typically prefer a more plush, cushioned and sometimes softer mattress. This means they will prefer a thicker mattress. In the thicker mattresses, the additional middle and top layers are made with softer latex. This softer latex is better suited for those who sleep on their sides. The extra layers also provide more cushioning for your hip and shoulder, while sleeping on your side. The 10 inch to 13 inch latex mattresses typically work well for side sleepers.
There are some situations where thicker is better, though, so this is just one of the factors to consider when selecting mattress thickness for your latex mattress.
Body Weight and Latex Mattress Thickness
Your body weight and the body weight of your partner can also determine the thickness of your latex mattress. For many couples, it is the deciding factor.
Body Weight and Mattress Thickness Recommendation (per person):
|Weight Per Person||Recommended Mattress Thickness|
|Up to 225 pounds||9”|
|Between 225 and 275 pounds||10”|
|275 pounds or more||12”|
Medical Conditions and Health Needs
Those who have certain medical conditions may need a mattress that is firmer or softer, in order to accommodate their health needs and/or aid in managing their pain.
Those who suffer from one of the following health conditions, may prefer sleeping on thicker mattresses with additional comfort layers of latex, for more cushioning:
- Shoulder Pain
These illnesses cause a great deal of pain and often disrupt sleep on mattresses that do not offer the proper amount of cushioning comfort.
Some people simply prefer a mattress that has additional softness over those that are firm. Others simply prefer a mattress that is more firm. Sometimes problems arise, when two partners with different preferences, must share a bed.
One thing that sets PlushBeds latex mattresses apart, is that you can customize the thickness and firmness of each side of the bed. All of our mattresses are handcrafted, using the finest quality organic and natural materials, and they are and customized for your needs, as you place your order. This means you will receive truly customizable comfort in your latex mattress!
Also, the layers in a PlushBeds Botanical Bliss latex mattress are not glued together. Therefore, you can easily add or remove layers, as needed, to adjust your comfort.
Height of Bed
One final thought about mattress thickness involves the practicalities of climbing into and out of bed. While taller people may prefer thicker mattresses, to add a little extra height to the bed, shorter people may find it difficult to climb into a taller bed.
If you are considering a latex mattress, you must decide which thickness is best for your individual needs. Hopefully, this guide will help you find your answers.
If you’ve purchased a latex mattress and your needs have changed, simply contact a mattress specialist at PlushBeds, to request an additional layer for more plushness, or remove a layer that’s too soft.
This means you don’t have to send the entire mattress to be refit or be forced to purchase an entirely new mattress to accommodate your evolving sleep comfort. That’s just one of the superior features of PlushBeds latex mattresses.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/how-thick-should-a-latex-mattress-be">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
- What to Know About PlushBeds MobilePlush RV Mattress Collection
- How to Avoid Health-Harming Chemicals in Your Mattress
- Sleep Tips For Healthcare Workers
- 5 Natural Ways to Build Your Immune System
- 7 Tell-Tale Signs It’s Time for a New Mattress
- How Did the Letters Z-z-z-z-z-z Become Synonymous With Sleep and Snoring?
- How to Build a Bedtime Routine for You AND Your Kids
- Organic and Natural Teas That May Help You Fall Asleep
- What is a Weighted Blanket and What Are Its Benefits?
- What Happens With Our Sleep as We Age
- Health Benefits of Napping
- 10 Tips to Help You Wind Down at the End of the Day
- How to Help Your Child (and You) Adjust to Daylight Savings Time Changes
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Your Sleep Position
- Parent’s Guide to Healthy Sleep for Children
- This Innovative Non-Toxic Mattress Changed the Way I Sleep
- How Long Do Latex Mattresses Last?
- What Is a Hybrid Latex Mattress?
- How to Create a Healthy Morning Routine
- 10 Healthy Foods For Better Sleep
- How To Assemble Your Latex Mattress
is added to your shopping cart.