Safety is important when choosing a mattress. There are many types of safety to consider. Some are more important to some families than others.
Fire safety is critically important, however, to most families today. You do many things to protect your home and family from the ravages of fire and take many steps to help prevent fires.
When fires do happen, though, especially fires that occur while families sleep, having a mattress with effective fire retardation can be the difference between life and death. It’s that important, which is why laws were passed in 2007 requiring mattresses to meet certain standards of fire retardancy.
The Dilemma with Fire Retardants
The problem with the new law is that most mattress manufacturers have turned to chemical solutions for their fire retardants, called Polybrominated Diphenyl ethers (PBDEs). These specific chemicals have been linked to hyperactivity and ADHD in children among other human health problems.
Greener Fire Retardancy Options
PlushBeds’ latex mattress fire retardants are made with pure Joma wool. Why is this important? It’s a completely natural and effective fire retardant that meets all the required standards for fire retardancy in mattresses.
It does this without added chemicals. More importantly, for families focused on safety, it does it without introducing off-gassing and other negative side effects associated with PBDEs and other petrochemicals.
The Joma wool used in PlushBeds latex mattresses, though, offers additional benefits aside from its flame retardant nature in that it allows air to flow through so that you’re able to remain cool and comfortable while you sleep as well.
The bottom line is that you don’t have to exchange respiratory health or planetary health for the sake of providing your family with the protection of fire retardancy in a mattress. You simply need to purchase latex mattresses, like PlushBeds latex mattresses, that utilize greener, yet equally effective safety measures for fire retardancy.
Prevention Remains the Best Cure
Of course bedding and mattresses are small parts of the effort to reduce the risks of a mattress fire in your home. There are many actions you can take that will help you reduce the risks for your family, including those listed below.
- Don’t smoke in bed.
- Educate your children about fire safety.
- Keep items such as matches, lighters, and other fire starters out of their reach.
- Don’t use portable heaters while sleeping.
- Turn portable heaters off whenever you leave the room.
- Don’t use portable heaters too close to beds or bedding.
Buying a latex mattress with natural Joma wool fire retardant is an excellent decision to protect your family, but you must also prepare for the worst. Develop a safety plan and exit strategy for your family so that everyone is prepared if a fire does occur.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/natural-fire-retardants">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Everything You Need to Know Before Buying a Mattress Online
- Benefits of CertiPUR-US Certified Foams in Mattresses
- How To Choose Your Mattress Thickness
- Latex Mattress Questions
- What is a GOLS Certified Organic Latex Mattress?
- Do Latex Mattresses Sag?
- Do Latex Mattresses Off Gas?
- Mattress Sizes
- Frequently Asked Questions about Latex Mattresses
- Latex Mattress Materials
- Who Benefits Most from a Latex Mattress?
- Are There Chemicals in a Latex Mattress?
- Talalay vs. Dunlop
- Buying a Latex Mattress Online
- The Benefits of Sleeping on a Natural Latex Mattress
- What to Know About PlushBeds MobilePlush RV Mattress Collection