PlushBeds Independence Day 2020 Mattress Sale July 02, 2020
How Your Mattress Protector Serves and Protects July 02, 2020
10 Ways to Sleep Better When You Work the Night Shift June 17, 2020
15 Benefits of a Natural Latex Mattress Topper June 01, 2020
Posted on by Amber Merton
Back pain. It can be disruptive when trying to get a good night’s sleep. Whether you have an injury or you suffer from chronic back pain, you understand the difficulties of finding comfort and a good night’s sleep.
So how can an adjustable bed make a difference for your sleep or the pain you experience while trying to sleep? The answer is simple. By allowing your upper body to rest at a 30 to 45 degree incline, and providing support under the knees, you’re giving your spine the support it requires to become comfortable enough for a good night’s sleep.
specific position is actually quite helpful to anyone who finds sitting in a
recliner comfortable. It is especially helpful for people who suffer from the
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder arthritis
- Shoulder pain
- Other joint conditions
More importantly, people who have specific health conditions affecting their spine and/or back pain, often find adjustable beds to be incredibly helpful for getting comfortable and getting more sleep. These are some of the big hitters when it comes to spinal conditions experiencing improved sleep opportunities in adjustable beds:
- Degenerative spondylolisthesis. Reclining while sleeping with adequate support beneath the knees can minimize back discomfort, allowing people with this condition to sleep throughout the night.
- Osteoarthritis. Adjustable beds may lead to more spinal support while sleeping, along with less joint compression for a more comfortable experience upon waking in the morning.
- Spinal stenosis. People who have this condition feel most comfortable when bending forward rather than standing up straight. Sleeping in an adjustable mattress allows opportunities for people with this condition to sleep reclined for greater comfort.
just a few of the conditions that can be helped with the right sleep positions
that are easily achievable with an adjustable bed. For instance, people with
herniated discs or degenerative disc disease may find relief by elevating their
legs, which helps to elongate the back. The idea is to straighten the back
which opens up the joints and relieves pain.
Why Adjustable Beds for Back Pain?
For many years people have used pillows to help facilitate back-relieving sleep positions. Unfortunately, using pillows for this purpose tends to get uncomfortably warm, and pillows have tendencies to bunch, slip, fall out of position, and get tangled in between blankets and covers, causing the very sleep disruptions you’re seeking to avoid in the first place.
Adjustable beds make it much easier to get into these back-relieving positions without breaking your back or resorting to pillow yoga to make it happen. Even better, the adjustable bed itself helps you to place your body into the proper positions for maximum relief.
they make getting into the proper sleep positions, and maintaining those
positions throughout the night, easier so you can enjoy greater effects from
These are a
few of the adjustable bed positions you might consider to get the relief you
Lower Back Pain
Elevate legs so that your knees are bent, and your back is completely flat. This is the ideal position for addressing lower back pain, and it works by creating a pelvic tilt that positions your lower back, so that you can begin strengthening target muscles and realigning your spine.
You may need to play around with the precise adjustments to find the perfect balance of comfort and support, but this position offers outstanding lower back pain relief.
Upper Back Pain
head so that your back is higher. Doing this helps to place less pressure on
your neck, shoulders, and upper back.
Lower Back Tension Pain
Lower back pain can be the result of tension pain. People who experience this often find relief by sleeping in a fetal position. Adjustable beds allow you to achieve this position in a manner that releases the lower back into the mattress so you can relax, while sleeping without experiencing tension pain in your lower back.
Back Strain Relief
Sometimes back pain is not the result of chronic conditions, but the result of strains. You do not have to make major adjustments in your elevation to achieve notable relief. As little as an inch of elevation for your back and/or your legs can result in enormous pain and pressure relief.
Some may even suggest using an adjustable bed to assist you in various exercises to strengthen your back, and relieve some of the soreness from chronic back pain.
Most people will argue that the position that addresses lower back pain best is one known as the zero gravity position. This position not only helps to relieve pressure for your spine, but also offers a sensation of weightlessness that many people associate with an outstanding sleep experience. There are other health benefits for sleeping in this position to consider as well. They include:
- Reduces snoring. The zero G position is able to do this by opening up airway restrictions, so you can breathe freely while sleeping. This leads to fewer sleep disruptions, deeper sleep, and greatly improved overall health.
- Relieves acid reflux. Many people who suffer from acid reflux find that the zero gravity position where their heads and legs are elevated offers optimal relief from the unpleasant symptoms of acid reflux.
- Improves heart health. By reducing pressure on the heart, the zero G sleep position allows for better circulation and blood flow throughout the body.
- Reduces leg swelling. Swollen legs are common when blood flow is impeded. However, the zero G position keeps the legs perfectly elevated to reduce and even minimize swelling, while allowing your legs to recover from the strains and stresses of the day.
some people simply prefer sleeping in this position or countless other
variations where heads, legs, or both are slightly or largely inclined. It may
take a while to find your perfect sleep position but once you do, laying flat
will never deliver the same results for you again.
Considerations When Shopping for an Adjustable Bed
Adjustable beds are more than just the sums of their parts. Different bases offer different features that may be more or less attractive to you. Explore your options, so you can buy with confidence that you’re getting your money’s worth. Features you may find attractive include:
- Massage capabilities. These are especially attractive to some when they can be used as a gentle alarm feature in the morning.
- Adjustable positions. Others appreciate the ability to make adjustments based upon their sleeping positions or simply to read or watch tv in bed.
- Timers that return you to a flat position after you’ve fallen asleep. Some find it easier to get into and out of bed from a flat position than their adjusted positions.
- Zero gravity position. This position relieves the pressure of gravity and distributes ones weight evenly, while providing proper support.
Another important consideration is for couples with different sleeping needs. They may find the idea of an adjustable bed disturbing or potentially disruptive. If this is the case, you may do better with a split adjustable bed, which comes with two remote controls and each side can operate independently.
PlushBeds Adjustable Beds
PlushBeds offers five different and unique adjustable bed foundations to choose from. When you’re exploring your options, be sure to check out the amazing technology our adjustable beds can bring to enhance your sleep. We have adjustable beds available for every size mattress, and a wide range of superior quality mattresses to use with your adjustable bed base.
Contact us today with any questions about adjustable beds. Our dedicated customer care team is always ready to help.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/using-an-adjustable-bed-for-back-pain">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
is added to your shopping cart.