Mattress toppers are a bedding option that can change the comfort of your new or older mattress. This type of bed enhancement comes in a variety of natural materials to choose from, and may enhance the support and comfort level of your mattress, which can lead to improved quality of sleep.
If you’ve considered ways to enhance your nightly slumber, a mattress topper might be your ticket to a good night’s rest and getting some extra zzz’s, which just may eliminate the need to use the snooze button. Here, we’ll discuss the different types of mattress toppers available, the benefits they can offer sleepers, and how they can improve the comfort and feel of your mattress.
What is a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper serves as an added layer of cushion that can add luxurious comfort to your bed. It’s a great choice for those who aren’t quite ready to replace an old mattress, or for those who want to prolong the lifespan of their newly purchased mattress.
Back and side sleepers alike can enjoy the deluxe comfort a mattress topper provides. A topper can supply added support for the neck, shoulders, back, and hips, and provide pressure relief that can help you sleep more soundly and wake up refreshed each day.
Positioning and caring for a mattress topper is easy. Simply place it on top of your mattress, and cover it with a fitted sheet or mattress pad. When needed, spot-clean your mattress pad, and wash the sheet or pad as directed.
Mattress Pad vs. Mattress Topper
When choosing between a mattress pad and a mattress topper, you’re likely to come across several differences. A mattress pad lends a thin layer of absorbent material that serves to protect the surface of your mattress from spills and stains. Because of its low density, this bedding option works more as a mattress protector; you won’t find the same cushioning or pressure point relief as you would with a mattress topper. However, a mattress pad can prove to be a wise investment, because it can provide a layer of protection and keep your mattress topper clean.
Unlike a mattress pad, a mattress topper is a thick layer of cushioning, and offers an additional layer of support and added comfort. Depending on the type of material, such as natural latex, the topper may supply some waterproof protection. Overall, the design of a mattress topper is to enhance the comfort of an existing mattress, rather than offer protection from spills.
About Mattress Topper Sizing
To experience the full benefits a mattress topper delivers, you should choose the size that coincides with your bed size. Be aware of the different size options and differences, such as twin versus twin XL, or king versus California king. Size matters, and a miscalculation can affect the proper fit of the mattress topper. When you size the topper correctly, you can avoid slippage, and ensure a snug fit around the four corners of the mattress.
Different Types of Mattress Toppers
Depending on your preference, there are a variety of mattress toppers available. Fortunately, many come in a number of hypoallergenic, sustainably sourced, natural materials that can enhance the comfort level of your existing mattress without the harmful effects of off-gassing.
The following are some of the best mattress toppers made from all-natural materials:
- Natural latex: A natural latex mattress topper brings soothing pressure relief with no synthetics or added chemicals. Not only does a latex topper deliver cloud-like softness and support, but its shock-absorbing quality can absorb body movement. PlushBeds’ 100% Natural Latex Topper is an affordable, non-toxic option free from pesticides, bleach, flame retardants, and carcinogenic adhesives.
- Memory foam: Memory foam mattress toppers can supply extra plushness to your existing mattress. With its enhanced breathability and thickness, a memory foam topper can help increase airflow, and cushion your body in all the right places. With varying densities, you can choose the right memory foam topper for your body type. Other features include anti-microbial materials, and mildew and dust mite resistance.
- Memory foam with cooling gel: For hot sleepers, consider a cooling mattress topper like the one offered by PlushBeds. A cooling gel-infused memory foam topper draws body heat away, keeping you cool and dry throughout the night. Its moisture-wicking properties also enhance airflow. Say goodbye to a damp night’s sleep, and hello to sleep that can help you feel refreshed and dry in the morning with a gel memory foam mattress topper.
- Down alternative: Down fill is a popular choice but, unfortunately, it’s also a common allergen for many people. You can get the soft comfort of a featherbed with the extra support of a down alternative mattress topper. Alternative feather toppers can soften the feel of a firm mattress, and deliver cozy warmth throughout the night. With quilted construction, the hypoallergenic fiberfill can stay in place and supply the right amount of fluff from top to bottom, and side to side. Just place it on top of your mattress, and enjoy plush, breathable comfort.
- Natural wool: When durability and luxurious natural fibers blend, you get the plush comfort of a natural wool topper. Wool mattress toppers offer a sustainable option with numerous benefits. Their supportive softness provides added comfort for side sleepers, and can help ease each pressure point and alleviate back pain. The breathable fibers also help regulate body temperature throughout the night. Whether you sleep too cool or too hot, a wool topper adjusts to your comfort needs year-round. Since wool is an all-natural fiber, it’s even safe for chemically sensitive individuals, naturally prevents the growth of mold spores, and deters bed bugs and dust mites.
How Mattress Toppers can Change Your Sleep
As you can guess, mattress toppers can greatly improve the comfort of your bed, and create a positive effect on the quality of your sleep. With its layer of comfort, you can get that new mattress feel, and extend the life of your mattress.
The best mattress topper largely depends on your specific needs. Many people opt for toppers for their extra cushioning and support, but it’s important to keep your essential must-haves in mind when shopping around for your ideal topper. Different materials supply different benefits. Weigh in on your wants and needs, so you can narrow down the best choice for you.
To recap, the following benefits can help you make the best decision for your bed:
- A thick-density memory or gel foam topper can add extra support and cushion.
- Cooling gel memory foam supplies a refreshingly cool night’s sleep.
- Natural latex delivers firmer, longer-lasting support without the sinking-in feeling of memory foam. And, if you have a wiggly sleep partner, shock-absorbing latex can provide a tranquil night’s sleep.
- For luxurious comfort and temperature regulation, vegan down fill or wool may prove your best option for year-round blissful sleep.
When choosing the right mattress topper, there are many options suitable for your specific needs, so you can get a good night’s sleep. By considering your personal needs when choosing a topper for your mattress, you can level up and change the way you snooze.
Discover How a PlushBeds Mattress Topper can Improve Your Sleeping Experience
For sustainable sleep solutions and certified natural and organic materials that can help you rest easy, discover how a handcrafted PlushBeds mattress topper can improve your overall sleep experience.
PlushBeds toppers are made in the United States, and are quality crafted with eco-friendly materials that meet the highest product quality standards. The PlushBeds line of toppers meets top-tiered GreenGuard Gold certification standards, and is a safe option for chemically sensitive people. Discover a new night’s sleep with a PlushBeds mattress topper.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/what-is-a-mattress-topper-and-how-can-it-change-your-sleep">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- 5 Things to Know Before Buying a Gel Mattress Topper
- The Mattress Recommended by Chiropractors and Orthopedists
- How to Get Stains out of a Mattress by Material
- What is an Orthopedic Topper?
- This vs. That: Mattress Topper vs. Pad
- How to Choose the Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
- Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide: Luxury Becoming Necessity
- 5 Things to Know Before You Use a Mattress Topper
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Pregnancy
- Best Mattress for Heavy People
- How to Install a Mattress Topper
- How Much Does a Latex Mattress Weigh?
The post What is a Mattress Topper and How can it Change Your Sleep? appeared first on PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog.