According to WebMD, 63 percent of Americans are side sleepers. That means that a large percentage of the population needs to be looking for mattresses that have certain properties best suited for a good nights sleep. It makes perfect sense that side sleepers are interested in finding the best mattress for side sleepers.
What might come as a surprise however, is the fact that side sleepers need different things from mattresses than people who sleep on their backs. Sleep posture can have a significant impact on your overall health as well as the quality of the sleep you get. The right mattress ensures you get a full night’s sleep as well as a comfortable night’s sleep.
Which Sleeping Positions are Healthiest?
Sleeping on your side can provide quite a few health benefits. It can help reduce some types of snoring (which is great for your partner), relieves back pressure, reduces heartburn and/or acid reflux, and it’s a neutral position that’s easier for your joints to maintain while sleeping. While back sleeping provides benefits for preventing pain to joints and helping to reduce acid reflux, it is not, however, good for snoring.
Potential Problems Side Sleepers Face
Support is the number one concern of the average side sleeper. It’s important to find a mattress and pillows that provide adequate amounts of support without putting unnecessary pressure or tension on joints and bones. While firm mattresses provide a great deal of support, if the mattress is too firm it will not make for a comfortable night of sleep. Don’t overlook the importance of a good pillow either. You’re going to need a pillow that’s fairly thick and supportive so that your neck is able to maintain proper alignment throughout the night. There are special pillows available that are contoured to accommodate side sleepers very nicely. Some side sleepers like to have a pillow between their knees.
Mattress Facts that Impact Sleep
Not only is it important to have the best firm mattress (medium-firm at the very least) to provide an adequate support system for your sleep needs, but you must also use a mattress that’s in good physical condition if your goal is to get quality sleep night after night. It’s not enough to buy a top of the line mattress and hang onto that mattress twenty years past its prime. You need to take care of the mattress with proper flipping and turning—as necessary and replace mattresses when needed.
A natural mattress provides a few benefits you might want to consider if you’re having trouble sleeping or need a little additional support for your aching bones and joints. One of the biggest benefits about natural latex for people who have difficulty with sleep quality enjoy is the fact that it doesn’t hold in the heat from the body. Some other mattress types are notoriously hot, which leads to many other sleep problems. Finally, latex mattresses may very well be the best mattress for the money for anyone suffering from sleep problems that can be corrected or limited with a mattress—especially when you consider their long lifespans.
No matter how great the mattress you decide to buy happens to be, it can only do so much to help improve your overall health or the quality of sleep you’re getting. If you sleep in certain positions, such as your stomach or in a fetal position, you’re much more likely to have problems with the quality of sleep you’re getting. Keep these things in mind as you look for the right mattress to meet your needs as a side sleeper and you should be able to find a great mattress at an excellent price.
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/best-mattress-for-side-sleepers">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
- Variations in Natural Latex Explained
- What is the Healthiest Mattress?
- How to Choose the Best Organic Mattress
- How to Keep Your Sleep on Track When Working from Home
- How Does a Latex Mattress Offer a Cooler Night’s Sleep?
- What to Know About PlushBeds MobilePlush RV Mattress Collection
- How to Avoid Health-Harming Chemicals in Your Mattress
- Sleep Tips For Healthcare Workers
- 5 Natural Ways to Build Your Immune System
- PlushBeds' Highly-Acclaimed Mattresses Earn More Than 80 Awards
- 7 Tell-Tale Signs It’s Time for a New Mattress
- How Did the Letters Z-z-z-z-z-z Become Synonymous With Sleep and Snoring?
- How to Build a Bedtime Routine for You AND Your Kids
- Organic and Natural Teas That May Help You Fall Asleep
- What is a Weighted Blanket and What Are Its Benefits?
- What Happens With Our Sleep as We Age
- Health Benefits of Napping
- 10 Tips to Help You Wind Down at the End of the Day
- How to Help Your Child Adjust to Daylight Savings Time Changes
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Your Sleep Position