Choosing the right mattress firmness can make a tremendous difference when it comes to the amount and quality of sleep you get each night. More importantly, it can have a huge impact on how you feel when you wake up in the morning. For instance, sleeping on one that is too soft can leave you waking up with aches and pains in your neck, back and joints. Sleeping on one that is too firm, can leave you with pain in your pressure points.
Why Does Mattress Firmness Matter?
The firmness of the mattress determines, in a large part, how comfortable you will find the mattress. Keep in mind, though, that every person is unique. What you might find comfortable might not be the perfect firmness level for someone else. Factors such as the ones listed below, play a role in how your body interprets firmness:
- Body Type
- Absence or presence of medical conditions
While opposites attract in many places, opposites, when it comes to mattress firmness preferences, have long been at odds.
Fortunately, there are options available to partners with different preferences in the form of Organic Latex Mattresses from PlushBeds. These mattresses have customizable firmness levels for each side of the bed and adjustable comfort layers that allow partners to adjust their comfort at any time.
The firmness of a mattress is something that isn’t always easy to change, especially if you purchase a mattress that does not have these features. While there are things that you can do to make your mattress firmer or softer, the best option is to choose the mattress that meets your needs from the beginning.
The One Firmness Fits All Myth
There are some mattresses that bill themselves as one firmness fits all mattresses. What these mattresses do is go with the numbers. For example, the average sleeper prefers a mattress that falls between 5 and 7 on the firmness scale. This 5 to 7 on the firmness scale, translates to a medium to medium-firm mattress.
In other words, approximately 7 of every 10 people will find a mattress within that range comfortable. Make sure you’re within that range of firmness preference before you buy into the hype. If you prefer something softer or firmer, you’re unlikely to be happy sleeping on a mattress designed for the masses.
Firmness vs. Support
Many people use the terms firmness and support interchangeably when discussing mattresses. They are not one and the same. In fact, they mean very different things when it comes to mattresses. A mattress can have superior support with the right mattress core, such as the organic dunlop latex core used in PlushBeds Organic and Natural Latex Mattresses, and have varying levels of comfort, such as:
- Firm: Best for back sleepers who prefer premium cushioned support.
- Medium: Great for side sleepers who prefer a fair amount of balance between support and softness.
- Medium-Firm: A perfect choice for stomach and certain back sleepers alike.
- Extra-Firm. Best suited for back sleepers who prefer very firm sleeping surfaces.
It’s important to choose a mattress that offers an adequate amount of support for your sleep needs along with the appropriate amount of cushioning comfort to help you rest easy throughout the night.
BMI and Mattress Density
BMI stands for Body Mass Index. Your BMI can help you to determine the firmness level, or ILD (Impression Load Deflection), which you will find most comfortable. While there are exceptions to every rule, a good rule of thumb is the larger your BMI, the firmer the mattress you will prefer. For instance,
- If your BMI is below 19, you’re likely to prefer a soft firmness in a mattress.
- If your BMI is between 19 and 25, medium firmness mattresses are likely to be most comfortable for you.
- BMIs between 26 and 31 are best suited for firm mattresses.
- BMIs above 31 are likely to find extra-firm mattresses to be their most comfortable sleep options.
Of course, this is in addition to preferences often dictated by sleep positions. Most people who sleep on their stomachs and backs prefer firmer mattresses while those who sleep on their sides prefer medium or softer mattresses.
Getting the Best of All Worlds
PlushBeds offers a variety of mattresses and firmness levels to accommodate the needs of a wide range of sleepers. Since the mattresses are not made until they are ordered, they are also among the most easily customizable mattresses on the planet.
Not only can you adjust the firmness and softness levels when ordering, but you can also adjust them once the mattress has been delivered to your home. PlushBeds offers a comfort exchange program, where you can exchange the comfort layer on your latex mattress.
You can even have one side of the bed made softer than the other by adjusting comfort layers to increase or decrease the softness of the mattress. This is a wonderful option for couples where one partner desires a firmer mattress than the other.
The truly wonderful thing about PlushBeds mattresses is that you have 100 nights to figure out what your needs may be. During this time, you can adjust your comfort layers to create the perfect balance of softness and support to get your best night’s sleep yet.
If you are considering a mattress and need a little more help determining which firmness level is best for you, the helpful mattress specialists at PlushBeds are always willing to assist you in making an informed decision. Contact PlushBeds today to learn more about the PlushBeds impressive line of latex mattresses and how they offer the perfect combination of comfort and support for a great night’s sleep.
Call PlushBeds at 1-888-683-7895
Link to Us!
If you found this article useful and shareable, please copy and paste the following into the html code of your website or blog:
Learn More About Going Green at the <a href="https://www.plushbeds.com/blogs/green-sleep/how-to-choose-mattress-firmness">PlushBeds Green Sleep Blog</a>.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept guest blog posts. Any inquiries into this will be respectfully left unanswered.
- Latex Mattress Materials
- Benefits of CertiPUR-US Certified Foams in Mattresses
- Who Benefits Most from a Latex Mattress?
- Are There Chemicals in a Latex Mattress?
- Talalay vs. Dunlop
- Buying a Latex Mattress Online
- What is a GOLS Certified Organic Latex Mattress?
- The Benefits of Sleeping on a Natural Latex Mattress
- Latex Mattress Questions
- Do Latex Mattresses Off Gas?
- Do Latex Mattresses Sag?
- Latex Mattress Buying Guide
- How to Find a Sustainable Mattress
- Where to Recycle Your Mattress
- Everything You Need to Know Before Buying a Mattress Online
- How To Choose Your Mattress Thickness
- Mattress Sizes
- Frequently Asked Questions about Latex Mattresses
- Which Mattress is Healthiest?
- What is the Healthiest Mattress?
- How to Choose the Best Organic Mattress
- How Does a Latex Mattress Offer a Cooler Night’s Sleep?